Chapter 15

This year for Christmas, Evalyn actually had a list of people to buy gifts for. She had been stressing for a week to find the right gifts. As she was pacing back and forth in the halls, two boys ran up to her. They both fell onto their knees and dramatically cried.
"Evee could you please please please come to our place for Christmas?"
"Yes Lynnie, please please please?" Sirius and James were begging her to spend part of the break with them. She put her hand on her chin pretending to think about it. The boys grabbed at her robes and pouted up at her. "We will do anything"
"Tell Remus to not get me in trouble tonight while he's doing prefect duty and I'll be there." She held her hands out to help the boys up.
Sirius put his hand over his heart and gasped, "Last I checked Lynnie love, we don't have a date tonight, so what are you doing?"
"I'm hanging out with Reggie and B in the astronomy tower. Today is our gossip session day, I can't wait." Evalyn jumped excitedly. She missed the sad look that flashed in Sirius' eyes.
"Did you want me to come with? I know me and Reg don't get along but maybe you'd like extra company?" He was worried about what would happen later.

"No I think we will be fine, thanks though Sirius." She put a comforting hand on his arm and he shook off his nerves.
"Prongs do you see this? She doesn't want me anymore!" The boy shrieked and fell over onto his mate. "Oi Pads don't worry mate, I'll take you." The three broke out into laughter before carrying on with their day.

Later that night, Evalyn had on her fuzzy duck pajamas and her slippers. She had been looking forward to hanging out with the two younger boys all day. She even packed some extra treats for them to share. However upon getting to the top of the astronomy tower, she noticed it was empty aside from a single daisy and a note. Confused, she walked over to it and picked up the note which had an E on the outside and started to read.
E,
We are cowards. Words cannot describe how sorry we really are. We couldn't face you to tell you these next words. Me and B can no longer hang out with you. My parents are saying it is time and B is joining me so we can stick together. I have to make them proud. They are my parents. I hope you understand that. We both love you entirely and we wish things could be different. This is only to keep you safe, I wouldn't do this if I could ensure you'd be okay. Maybe in another lifetime things would be different. Please do not worry about us or try to talk us out of it. We will be fine. Also, don't close yourself off to the people around you. You have grown so much this past year and you shouldn't push them away, even if it is my pathetic brother. Again, don't let your Hufflepuff loyalty try to convince you to help us. I'm doing this because I have to for the Black family name.
With love always,
R.A.B
Teardrops hit the parchment as she read and reread the note. She was angry, not at the young boys, but at the war. Evalyn fell to her knees, the note crumpled in her fist. Silently she waved her wand to cast a muffliato and lock the doors. And she screamed. Her magic grew thick in the air around her and started to crackle. Sirius, who stayed near the tower just in case, felt a small rumble in the walls. He took off towards where the girl was only to find the door locked. He banged on it and called her name. It fell on deaf ears as she was still screaming and sobbing.
Standing up she wandlessly transfigured some practice dummies and put all of her efforts into several hexes and curses to take them out. She finally heard her name being called and flicked her wrist to the door and Sirius barged in. Her magic surrounded him and he felt the power radiating off of the girl. He gaped at how strong her magic felt.
Shaking off his amazement, he quietly called to her. Evalyn turned to him and glared. He froze because instead of the soft sage green eyes he was used to, they were a bright golden color. "Did you know?"
He hung his head and took a step back. "He told me last week."
With another cry, she sent several more curses towards the dummies. "Why won't he let me help him? I have been there for him since he got here and now he's doing this. I've worked my arse off to try to get them away, but he won't leave them."
"It's his choice Lynnie, there's only so much you can do. If he wants to be good, he has to do it on his own now." The girl collapsed and Sirius ran to catch her before she hit the ground. "How about you stay with us tonight? You shouldn't be alone love." She nodded and wrapped her arms around him.

Sirius picked her up bridal style and carried her all the way towards the Gryffindor common room. Before they reached the destination, Dumbledore stopped them and Sirius set her down.
"The stars are shining clearly tonight Mr. Black and Miss Fern."
Evalyn wiped her eyes and gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry sir, it's my fault we are out late. He just was making sure I was okay, I can head back to bed now." The old wizard waved his hand, brushing off her words. "I don't think I've seen a thing tonight children. However, do stop by for some tea and lemon drops when you are feeling better Miss Fern." Dumbledore turned and walked off, leaving the two teens in shock.
"Let's get you to bed Lynnie." He held her hand the whole way to the dorm and tucked her into the bed before laying next to you. "I've got you now love, don't worry."