Chapter 79

April of 1981. Evalyn and Sirius silently ate their breakfast the morning of the charity ball. Sirius insisted he tag along. Evalyn, knowing Dumbledore wouldn't let him, told him the only way he'd be able to go is if he were Snuffles and waited outside. Stubbornly, he agreed to that plan even though he wouldn't be able to do much from outside. The only sound was the clanking of forks against the plates while they ate their sausage and eggs.

After the food was finished, Evalyn took the plates to the kitchen to wash them the muggle way. It helped calm her nerves. Sirius, turned the small muggle radio on softly playing Just The Way You Are. He walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and gently swayed them while he sang softly in her ear. With a soft smile, she set the dishes down and turned around in his arms, wrapping hers around his neck. As the song progressed, the twirled around the room together, Sirius occasionally spinning Evalyn. At the end, he dipped her down and kissed her lips as she giggled. He stood her back upright and their foreheads leaned against each other. "I love you Lynnie darling."

"I love you too." She cupped his face with her hands and placed a short sweet kiss on his lips. "I'll stay safe, and I will alert you if I need you." She reached for her locket that hung on her neck next to Regulus' chain. As Evalyn turned to the fireplace, Sirius spanked her butt and gave her a playful grin.

"I'll be right outside love, make sure Fenwick knows whose wife you are." He blew her a kiss and wink. Evalyn laughed and shook her head as she vanished into green smoke.

Setting up the table was the easy part. They laid out the desserts and hung her bakery sign. Afterwards, the two changed into more formal outfits. Benjy wore simple all black wizarding robes, while Evalyn wore a dark red gown. It had long sleeves and hugged her figure until it got to her hips, where it flowed out elegantly to the floor. She left her curls down, aside from the front pieces that were pinned back, allowing her face to be fully on display. It wasn't necessarily a proper ball gown look, but she still looked like royalty. Benjy gaped when the girl walked over to his side. Evalyn giggled, "Careful, Sirius might not be here but he has a sixth sense when it comes to people eyeing me like that."

He shook his head with a smile before holding out his arm. "I think that might terrify me more than the war. No worries though, I'll keep my hands to myself." Evalyn placed her hand in the crook of his arm as he guided her to the dance floor. While they spun around, he talked lowly into her ear. "Where do we even start?" She looked around the crowd, spotting the twins, Marlene and Dorcas, and Peter. Evalyn assumed those are the ones Dumbledore sent for backup.

"You start with the wives, your charm could surely pull something from them. They love to gossip." He nodded as they glided around the room. "Also, when it comes time to switch partners, keep it casual but ask about things like occupations and such."

"How am I supposed to keep an eye on you if we switch partners?" He eyed her uncomfortably. She winked up at him with such confidence that immediately calmed his nerves.

"Just trust me, you will know if I need you." And just like that, she was spun into someone else's arms. The man eyed her with an intense hunger. She smiled sweetly at the man.

"Karkaroff. Who might you be?" Evalyn swallowed back some vomit as the man's hand strayed lower on her waist. His thick accent threw her off slightly.

"Evalyn Black. Pleasure. My bakery is the one who provided the desserts for the event tonight." His fingers tensed on her waist when her name left her mouth.

He dipped his head to meet her ear, "I'm surprised Orion's blood traitor son picked up such a powerful witch. Is it your magic he wants? Or are you just that good in bed? Maybe it is both." Evalyn grimaced, preparing herself to be spun to her next partner.