Chapter 69

Fingernails dug into her forearm as she was once again dragged away. A dim lit room which had no windows held her fate. Up the stairs was a door which looked to be locked from the outside. The putrid smell of something rotting lingered in the air. The only sounds in the room were a steady drip of water from the ceiling, Bellatrix's laughter, and Evalyn's occasional screams.

It started with her hair, something simple. Evalyn watched the envy in the witch's wild eyes as she grabbed her golden locks in one hand and chopped it off unevenly just below the ears. The hair was dangled in front of her and then tossed aside to taunt her. She will lose it when she sees that it'll grow back in the next day or two.

Next were the burns. Bellatrix heated the blade of her knife until it was red hot and pressed it up and down her right arm several times. The pain was intense. Between screams of pain, Evalyn muttered curses and prayers in her mind. Sweat glistened on her face as she was tossed roughly back to the ground. Bellatrix hovered over her before turning her onto her stomach and ripping the sleeve of her left side off. Her shoulder blade laid on display for whatever the crazed lady had planned next. Evalyn's fingernails dug into her palms as Bellatrix made the first incision. A metallic taste filled her mouth as the young girl couldn't even register she had bit down on her lip and tongue too hard. Filthy Mongrel engraved onto her skin.

Just when Evalyn thought it wouldn't get worse, a now shattered wrist and a Crucio crumpled her into a ball. It lasted for so long, Evalyn soon went unconscious from the pain.

Her blood dried up on the ground around her. It was sticky and dry against her exposed flesh. A mixture of sweat, blood, and possibly urine dampened her clothes. Another presence entered the room as Bellatrix left. Fenrir Greyback. He knelt to the girl, smelling her up and down in enjoyment. A sharp claw was traced down her cheek, making a fresh wound on her face. Before he could do any more damage, Regulus Black sauntered in with a cold expression. His hands were clasped behind his back to hide his nerves. "Greyback, the Dark Lord sent you on a mission. He sent me here to make sure you have left. I'm certain he will not be pleased to hear that you are choosing to play with this thing instead of doing your task." Regulus sneered at the werewolf with his chin held high. Greyback growled and turned back to Evalyn, his drool dripping onto her. Regardless, he stalked out of the room without another glance.

Once the door shut, Regulus ran over to the girl. He muttered a couple healing charms, making sure to leave some so it wasn't obvious she had help. Evalyn was awoken with a groan, once it dawned on her where she was, her eyes shot open wide and she tried to scoot away. Regulus nearly cried at seeing all of the blood. She flinched as he reached out. But instead of some sort of pain, his palm was pointed up and her wand was held in his hand. He tapped his wand a couple times on the enchanted cuffs and they fell off. Evalyn sobbed when she heard them clatter to the ground. "You came Reg."

"I'm sorry I couldn't sooner, I wanted too but it would be too obvious if I stopped her. I'm so sorry Evalyn." His rambling was cut short by a hand on his. He helped pull her to her feet and steadied her. Arms embraced his waist and he embraced her, being careful of her injuries. "You have to hurt me Evalyn, make it look like you broke out. Go up to my room, almost everyone is gone already. Kreacher will take you away when you get there." He held her as she continued to sob.

"I love you Reggie, thank you."

"I love you too E, always. I'm happy you are going to be my sister for real now, even if we won't be seeing each other. Thank you for staying with me all these years." His tears landed in Evalyn's hair. She pulled away and groaned in pain as she melted the cuffs.

"I'm sorry hun." Using her good hand, she swung at Regulus' face. He took a hit straight to the eye and fell to his knee.

"Worse Evalyn, I can take it." She hit him again but this time in the ribs. "Use your magic, it's fine." Evalyn let out another sob and she held up a shaky hand. First she drenched him in water to make it look like she tried drowning him, then she laid a fiery hand on his wrists and he did his best to hold in his yells of pain.

"I love you Reg." She used her wand and hit him with a stunning spell before taking his wand and throwing it across the cell. He hit the ground as he faded out of consciousness. A bloody hand held the wall as she climbed the stairs. The door creaked open as she cracked it and peered out. Evalyn tiptoed out when she assumed it was clear. Just as she crossed the room to where the next set of stairs were, two figures popped out of the shadows.

Evan held back his anger at her state, choosing to show no expression. Evalyn leaned against the wall, wand pointed down but still ready to defend herself the muggle way if need be. Barty looked at her curiously. "This can all end if you just agree." His words were angry, he watched Regulus go down to the cell and not return. "Why won't you let us just be together?! We can rule the world!" He whisper yelled.

"Look at me B! Is this what you want from me?! I will spend every day that I am here fighting this!"

His brows furrowed and he paced back and forth anxiously. It was like he couldn't decide his next move. "I don't know if I can let you leave. He will be upset, I've worked too hard to prove myself and someone for once is finally proud of what I have done." His wand pointed up towards Evalyn, but she noticed the hurt in his eyes. Evans fingers twitched over his own wand, unsure of who he would side with. He was undoubtedly on the Dark Lord's side, but Evalyn held a special place in his heart.

"Don't you see?! I was always proud of you! Who was there at all of your quidditch matches and all the chess tournaments?! Me! Who cheered you on after every passing exam you brought me?! Me! Who was there every time you cried about your father?! Me!" The frustration she felt masked any pain she had in the moment. She laughed, not from humor but disbelief. The boys faltered as they watched her, disheveled, bloody and laughing like a madman.

Evalyn noticed their hesitation and muttered an Expelliarmus, taking both of their wands. "These will be in Reggie's room after I leave. Please let me leave boys."

Evan nodded "Go fly birdie."

She looked at Barty who still looked conflicted, but the tears rolled down his face. "Just this once Evalyn, next time you have to join or I can't let you go. Please just remember I love you and everything I do is because I care."

"Thank you." She dragged herself up the stairs. Once she entered Reggie's room, Kreacher waited for her with a disgusted look.

"Master Regulus ordered me to not say anything about taking the filth away." He reached for her and snapped his fingers. In an instant, she was laid on the grass somewhere that was unrecognizable. The elf vanished and she reached for her locket. And her wand, muttering to her patronus before darkness overtook her.

Sirius was halfway through a bottle of firewhisky when he felt his locket warm. He sobered instantly as Evalyn's patronus lit up the room. In a rush, he ran to James and gave her location. The two took off instantly.

Sirius froze in fear as he laid eyes on a figure slumped over on the ground. James walked over to her first, just to save Sirius of any pain of what might be. He knelt to the ground beside her and a hand ran through his hair. The Potter boy stuck his other hand under her nose to check to see if his sister was breathing. A faint puff of air shocked him. He called for Sirius to come over and the long hair boy ran up to them. James took Evalyn in his arms. "She's alive but she needs a healer." Sirius breathed out a sigh of relief and anger.

"Let's get her home."