Chapter 51

Dumbledore offered little to no help. He simply said "The Order will keep an eye on things" and "As long as she is at Hogwarts she is safe." So Evalyn and Sirius did their best to just brush it off for now and put their trust in the Headmaster's words.

The next day, Sirius and James were chasing each other on their brooms while all of the girls were bundled up on the ground at the quidditch pitch. Lily and Evalyn were painting their nails, they decided to do a matching lavender color. Evalyn added a small JP on Lily's ring fingernail and smirked at the witch. Lily blushed and grabbed Evalyn's hand, putting a small SB on her ring finger. Dorcas had fallen asleep with her head in Marlene's lap, while the girl was singing horribly. Alice decided to take the time to make little snowmen versions of each of the girls.

Sirius flew over to the girls and slid off his jacket to lay over Evalyn's shoulders. He grabbed her cheeks with one hand and squished her face before placing a kiss on her forehead. He gave her a wink and a huge smile and flew back off to James who was making kissie faces at his best friend. Evalyn's eyes never left his figure and a dazed smile was upon her face. A small chunk of snow hit her cheek breaking her out of her trance. She glared at Marlene who had a big smile on her face.

"It's nice seeing a soft Sirius. The macho manly act was rubbish and revolting." The blonde Gryffindor wrinkled her nose at the thought. Evalyn let out a breathy laugh and looked back up at the boys. "Why couldn't you be a Slytherin though, you made me lose my bet with Remus." Another chunk of snow hit her head. "You bet on Sirius?!" The Hufflepuff grinned. "I've bet on everyone! I told Remus that it would be a Slytherin who would tame Sirius Black. Who knew it would be probably the softest person, aside from Alice, to whip him into shape." All of the girls laughed but quieted down when they saw a group walking near by.

Snape had his usual scowl on his face, Avery and Mulciber were laughing loudly at Merlin knows what, and Regulus Black followed, a cool look of indifference plastered on his face. As they neared, 2 small first year boys accidentally kicked a muggle football at Regulus. Before it hit him, a flick of his wand vanished it. He scowled at the children. The kids averted their eyes and muttered a quiet apology. "Piss off mudbloods." Lily tensed up beside her, and Marlene would have stormed over if it weren't for her girlfriend still sleeping on her lap. Evalyn looked down and bit the inside of her cheek, a faint taste of copper hit her tongue when she bit down a little too hard.

Out of nowhere, a small gust of wind pushed into Regulus as he turned back around. To any outsider, it simply looked like he tripped over his own foot as he stumbled. But Regulus knew better, he felt the magic behind the wind that knocked him. The girls started snickering at his near fall and he whipped his head around with wide eyes. His heart clenched when he noticed Evalyn wasn't even looking in his direction, but at his brother. He knew she heard his words, and he knew she was the one who tripped him.
"That's 10 points Black, if I hear it again, I'll take 30." Lily crossed her arms but didn't move from her seat.

Mulciber and Avery looked ready to pounce. Snape snarled in the girls' direction. "Who do you think you are?" Lily held her ground and tapped the Head Girl badge that shined on her robes. Evalyn finally turned her attention back to the Slytherins, "She's Head Girl, maybe if you lot are going to insult a child, don't do it in front of your superior." She raised an eyebrow, daring them to challenge her.

"Who do you think you are? You are just a greasy haired git who is jealous of the fact that he didn't get the girl." Marlene's words held a venom to them that made Evalyn wince internally. Sirius and James had been paying a close eye on the interaction, and Sirius was about to intervene when James held him back, "Let them handle it, it's Regulus, she'll be mad if you step in. If they pull their wands, we'll go." Sirius scowled but stayed in place.

Snape went to reach for his wand but Regulus held his hand up in front of him to stop him. He knew what would've happened as soon as that wand came out. The last thing Regulus wanted was to cause a big scene. So with a sneer, he straightened his back and said "Time will show which one of us is actually superior. I'm done wasting my time with this scum." Evalyn would have believed him if she didn't know him like the back of her hand. Before he could walk away, she stood up slowly and took several steps until she was toe to toe with the boy. Sirius and James flew down to the ground behind the Slytherins to watch. Nobody moved a muscle as she glared up at him. Regulus was sure she could hear his heart racing. A nervous bead of sweat threatened to fall from his brow. She picked up on his twitch in his left hand that only happens when he's anxious. His heart cracked when he saw the flash of disappointment in her eyes but hid it behind his own glare. They stared at each other for a minute before she whispered, "You're mother would be proud of you."

Normally the words would have made him soar with pride and joy, but coming from the girl he loves as a sister, they broke him. Evalyn tried to hold back her tears and she turned away first. The young boy just watched as she walked back to the castle. He watched as his brother ran after her, putting a comforting arm around her waist as he guided her through the doors.

He silently turned and kept walking, the rest of the Slytherins following after him. It was for the better. That is what he was reminding himself. James walked over to Lily and the rest of the girls to check on them. He was relieved to find his Lily Flower was completely fine after what happened.

Meanwhile, Sirius took Evalyn to the Forbidden Forest so she could blow off some steam with dueling.

AN:
I can't decide, should I kill off Regulus or should I have Evalyn save him?