Chapter 63

Before Evalyn could reach the front door of the Potter Manor, it had swung open. In a blur, Sirius had nearly tackled her. He grabbed her face in his hands, inspecting it for any bruises or scratches. Once he saw she was okay, he was about to kiss her. However, he was shoved away by Moody. Sirius fought against Remus who held him back as Moody held his wand up to Evalyn.

"What did Dumbledore say to you before you left for this mission?" His gruff voice rang out. Evalyn, who was frustrated with the older man glared back and pushed herself into his wand.

"He said 'The Order is relying on you, don't leave without information. No matter the cost.'" She snarled the words quietly so that nobody else could hear them. Evalyn was annoyed at what the headmaster asked of her. However she understood that this was a war and this was what she signed up for. The second Moody lowered his wand, she brushed past him into Sirius' arms.

"I'm okay love, I promise." James was questioned in a similar manner while the couple held each other.

Remus gave her a small smile and gestured towards the door, "Let's get inside, it's rather late now." One by one, the group trickled in. Soon several other Order members popped in. The Prewett twins, along with their brother in law Arthur, Frank and Alice Longbottom, Peter and then Minerva. Tea and biscuits were passed around as they awaited Dumbledore's questions.

"Evalyn you look —"

"—Stunning" the twins let out wolf whistles and laughed at Sirius' scowl. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders before pulling her close. Evalyn blushed and laughed along with the boys at her lover's jealously.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Did you two get anything?"

James shook his head, and turned to Evalyn knowing she would decided how much to tell the group. No matter the situation, he would choose her first, so if she felt like she couldn't be safe giving out the information, he wouldn't do it.

She looked down at the table and fiddled with Sirius' hand. "It had nothing to do with Sirius. The invitation." She looked to Dumbledore trying to convey what she was meaning without giving away her secrets. He gave her a subtle nod and looked around the room.

"What do you mean Evalyn?" Alice questioned softly from the other side of the room. The blonde witch turned to her former headmaster and he bowed his chin as if giving permission to share. Sirius tightened his grip around her while Remus put buried his head in his hands with a small groan. James held onto Lily's hand tightly who looked back at him nervously. Peter's attention darted between his mates in confusion.

"It was me they wanted. Someone wanted information on me." The room stilled. Effie put a hand over her mouth and Lily let a worried tear fall. Sirius held onto Evalyn as if she would vanish into thin air. His leg bounced up and down rapidly.

Peter scoffed in disbelief, "Not to be mean but why would they want information about you?" The Marauders looked at him briefly before someone else piped up.

"It seems a bit silly to do all that for someone they consider to be inferior." Small murmurs went around. The chattering added onto Sirius' anxiety. He slammed his free hand down on the table. This loud noise silenced everyone.

With a deadly tone, he questioned "How do we keep her safe?" His stormy grey eyes met the headmaster's awaiting an answer. The old wizard thought over his next words carefully.

"We don't keep her hidden anymore." Monty choked on his tea and shook his head. At the same time Sirius and James stood up. Remus cursed under his breath. As Sirius was ready to jump across the table, Evalyn put a soft hand around his wrist to guide him back. A breathy laugh left her lips as she waited for the headmaster to continue. "It sounds like they know what she might be, and she will have to use her powers in order to defend herself. We will not be there to protect her all of the time."