Chapter 20

Monty was trying some of his Sleekeazy's Hair Potion on Evalyn's frizzy curls. The Potter man grew close to the Hufflepuff over the past few days. He has enjoyed having a girl he could see as a daughter in the manor. They've bonded over their shared love of dueling and nature. Immediately, her curls smoothed out leaving it soft and shiny.
"Evalyn, be sure to owl me, next time you come over we can try some new potions I'm inventing for your hair."
"Of course Monty, I'm going to miss you." She gave him a big hug before turning towards her trunk. All of a sudden Sirius and James tumbled down the stairs, landing on top of each other. Remus and Peter followed behind them snickering.

"Alright Sirius?" The girl walked over and held her hand out to the long haired boy. He looked up at her with hearts in his eyes and nodded.

"Sans toi, je ne suis rien." He stood up and pulled her in for a hug. "Tu es la plus belle chose qui me soit arrivée."

Evalyn blushed a furious red. Reggie taught her a little bit of French, but not enough to fully translate what he said. She grew flustered and whispered. "T-thank you, I think?" Sirius laughed at her response and grabbed her trunk for her, but shoved it into Remus' hands. "Take this Mooney, the Marauder's Princess should never work." She rolled her eyes at that. "I can carry that myself, you prat." As she went to grab it back from Remus, James slapped her hand and threw her over his shoulder.
"Put me down! This isn't funny" Evalyn shrieked. She managed to wiggle out of his grasp and looked at him wide eyed. With a smack to his arm, she said "I'm afraid of being off the ground. I don't do heights, I don't do flying, any of it."

Dramatically both Sirius and James gasped and held each other. "No flying?!" They said in unison.

"No."

The train ride back to Hogwarts was interesting. The 5 of them shared a compartment, making jokes and telling stories. An hour into the ride, Lily Evans popped her head in. She gave Evalyn a warm smile, "Good Christmas Evalyn? I heard you stayed with this lot, I don't know how you do it." The Hufflepuff nodded in return. "They are the best honestly." The boys smiled at her praise. Lily turned towards a certain messy haired Potter and gave him a small smile. "Alright Potter?" The boy, who was mid sip of pumpkin juice, opened his mouth in shock, all of the liquid spilling from his lips. The red head laughed "I'll see you lot in the Great Hall later." She turned and left. Peter smacked James' face lightly, "she's gone now mate."

"She actually talked to me! Evans talked to me!" He squeezed Peter's shoulders in excitement.

"Maybe next time you'll say something back you daft cow." Evalyn snickered.

He brushed off the insult and smirked at her. "Wrong animal Evee."

Next one to pop into the compartment was a surprise. Evan Rosier.
"Nobody asked for your presence Rosier." Sirius sneered.

The Slytherin ignored his comment and Remus went to slide the door shut. This made Evan glare at him and blocked the motion with his foot. "I'm just here for Evalyn." She gave Sirius' hand a small squeeze.
"What is it Evan?" Sirius clenched his jaw when he heard her say the boy's first name.

Evan glanced at the other boys and back at Evalyn who gave him a small nod signaling that they knew about their deal. "Well birdy, I just wanted you to be aware that my end is done. Don't keep me waiting too long for that tea and duel, I tend to be impatient sometimes." He winked at her and stuck his hand out.
"Okay, thank you." She shook his hand briefly and then grabbed Sirius' hand again. Evan seen their intertwined hands and rolled his eyes.
"Pleasure doing business little bird." He gave a mock bow and left the compartment leaving Sirius fuming.

Without saying a word, Evalyn pulled him closer to her and fiddled with his rings.
"I don't see how my brother is worth all this trouble." The boy sneered and everyone else exchanged glances.
"I'm just worried about him, I really care for him, even if he isn't talking to me." She tried to reason with him.

"You think I don't?! He's not even your brother! He's mine! But he's too much of a prat to even see that!" At this point he was yelling at the girl who tried to hide her hurt. It failed however, when he noticed a small quiver of her lip. He then took a brief moment to look in her normally bright eyes only to see them dulled in pain. With a groan, he stormed out. James, instead of following his best mate, moved over to the girl who was holding in her tears.
"Give him time Evee, I'll talk to him later." She leaned her head back against the seat and let out a sigh. "I'll get up and go, so he can come back in without worrying about me. He's not mad at you lot, just me." As she tried to leave, James pulled her back. "No, he may be my best mate, but you are special to me too." Remus and Peter both gave nods in agreement. "Padfoot isn't good with his feelings, so he explodes sometimes. It's no excuse for him, he was a git and he needs to apologize. Don't let anyone talk to you like that okay?" Peter passed her a sugar quill, he always carries one just in case she needs one. Remus covered her in his jumper. "Try and sleep, Evalyn, we will wake you when it's time."
"Thank you boys."

Sirius knew he messed up. He was angry. He was hurt. He was jealous. But none of it was Evalyn's fault and he knew that. She was just the easiest one to take it out on. And it made him more upset to see that he hurt her. Maybe I am like my family. He found a compartment that had some young second years in it, who looked at him in awe when he sat down. He let out a single tear and wiped it away, and then told himself he would ask Minnie later for advice.