Chapter 54

Spring came rather fast at Hogwarts. And Evalyn was tired. She was tired of seeing the two boys she grew up with at the school turn into menaces. It had gotten so bad she asked Evan to stop bringing Barty with him to their lessons. She was tired of the bullying. Tired of training. Tired of pushing herself to be there for everyone.

Dumbledore had just informed her that she and the rest of her group would join the Order meetings once school is over. She silently walked to Professor McGonagall to ask to be excused from lessons today. After the witch gave her approval, she trudged down to the kitchens and grabbed a couple snacks. Stopping by her dorm to grab a blanket, she finally made her way to the Black Lake. Evalyn knew if you walked far enough, there is a little grassy area with a singular tree. The tree always gave the perfect amount of shade, no matter the time of day. She laid her blanket down on the ground and placed her snacks on top.

With a sigh she plopped down, leaning against the tree. Her eyes closed as a gentle breeze blew around her. Birds chirped in the tree above her as the faint smell of flowers drifted by. She placed a hand on the ground beside her. A warmth flooded through her body as her magic. A small bunch of daisies bloomed where her hand was just at. The sun had provided the perfect amount of heat to make Evalyn feel a little drowsy. It was the perfect break.

Knowing the Marauders were probably going to look for her, she had left a note for Remus. He was the only one who would actually read it and would keep the rest of the boys busy so she could be alone for a while.

After one of the world's best naps in her opinion, she vanished her stuff and went to find Lily. If anyone could relate to what she was feeling, it was the redhead. Evalyn would normally talk to Sirius about her problems, but this one was different. Regulus was a touchy subject with him. When it came to it, he would shut down.

Lily found Evalyn first, and at seeing the Hufflepuff's state, she dragged her to her dorm where they now sat in Lily's bed. Evalyn laid back onto the lavender covers and looked at the picture of Lily and James on the nightstand. Next to it was a torn up letter which she assumed, by the handwriting, was from Snape.

"Do you still care about him?"

Knowing what Evalyn needed to talk about, Lily sighed and laid next to Evalyn. She combed her fingers through Evalyn's scalp, much like a mother would do for a young child. "Yes and no. The good memories will always be there. I can look back at them and say at one point in time, he truly cared about me, that he was a good friend. But at the same time, I didn't deserve the way he treated me. The way he acted wasn't okay and I couldn't make excuses for it anymore. At first I was blind to it because of our friendship, but it became too much. A real friend wouldn't be cruel towards you or the ones you love. A real friend would listen to you and consider your opinion when you try to tell them they are being mean."

Evalyn closed her eyes tightly as the tears started to fall. "I tried so hard to get them to see that they had a choice. That I was there for them. That if they wanted away from this nonsense, I would get them away. Now they are just like Regulus' parents. Obnoxious and arrogant and hurtful. When they were younger I used to see the regret in their eyes when they said something mean, but now it's just cold."

Lily said nothing, only continuing to run her fingers through Evalyn's scalp, patiently waiting for her to continue.

"My parents loved them, and it hurts me to say that I love them now. I can't love the way they are behaving. I can't keep putting this effort into them if they are just going to ignore me and shut me out like I'm nothing."

"It's okay to let them go Evalyn. You deserve better. You need to surround yourself with the people who would put in the same amount of energy that you do for them. I know it's difficult love, I know it's painful. But you have me and the rest of the girls, and those 4 boys in the other dorm would go to the end of the world for you. They literally shout it in front of everyone daily how much they love you."

A silence fell upon them while Evalyn thought on Lily's words. Her tears slowed, and she blinked at the picture of the happy couple before glancing over to the letter again. "You're right, I need to not let people take advantage of me. It's time to let them go." She moved to take off the ring Regulus gave her, but Lily stopped her.

"It's okay to keep it for now, that's one of the good memories. You can still cherish those."

Evalyn twisted the ring around her finger, considering it. She slowly slipped it off, along with Barty's bracelet, and put them on the nightstand. "I need free for a moment, I'll keep them in a safe spot so I can come back to them if I need to."

"That's okay too" Lily gave her a warm smile.

"Can I stay here for a while? I need some girl time." Evalyn avoided Lily's eyes, growing shy with her question.

"Of course, you're always welcome love." The two cuddled up together in the bed. "How are you and Sirius? Have you shagged yet?" The red head wiggled her eyebrows with a playful grin.

Evalyn turned a bright red and bit her lip before nodding. Lily let out a squeal and laughed as Evalyn slapped a hand over her mouth. "What about you and James then?" Before Lily could answer, Evalyn scrunched her nose, "Nevermind I don't think I want that image of him in my head. Gross."

It was Lily's turn to blush and she gave a small smile. "I love him. You're the first person I'm actually admitting that to." It was Evalyn who squealed now, with Lily slapping her hand over her mouth. At the same time, there was a thud against the door accompanied by a high pitched yelp. The two girls locked eyes with a grimace. Evalyn flicked her wrist at the door to open it, which Lily raised an eyebrow at impressed. Tumbling in the room were Sirius and James. Neither boy looked guilty at the fact that they were caught eavesdropping.

"SHE LOVES ME" James yelled out the door down to the common room. There was a small sound of clapping that reached the dorm as he ran over to Lily. He grabbed her cheeks and placed a sloppy kiss on her lips. In his joy he also kissed Evalyn's forehead and Sirius' cheek.

Evalyn gave a nudge to Lily, who was frozen in her spot. The red head broke into a big smile and said the words "I love you James Potter." The boy let out another cheer and ran his hand through his messy hair, "I love you too future Mrs. Potter." In response, Lily scoffed, but the blush on her cheeks showed her true feelings on the name.

"Oi! Me and my darling Lynnie will be getting married first!" Sirius was still on the ground from where he fell in and crossed his arms with a pout.

"Is that so? I don't remember you asking love." Evalyn gave him a cheeky smirk, her eyes shimmering with love.

"Patience my dear, patience." He finally made his way to her and kissed her nose.

"Merlin, does James even have patience?" The three teens whipped their heads to Lily in shock. She laughed at their gaping faces. Evalyn joined in on her laughter shortly after.

Both boys looked at their girlfriends before James covered his heart. "You wound me Evans."

Sirius snickered "The twat waited years to finally get the girl, he has more patience than all of us combined." Evalyn reached over and pinched Lily's red cheeks. "ANYWAYS, back to me," he dramatically flipped his hair over his shoulder. "Me and Lynnie will get married first, just you wait and see."

James narrowed his eyes "You're on Black." The boys spit in their hand before shaking hands with each other. Lily and Evalyn shared a look of disgust. They gave each other a nod before each girl gave their boyfriend a kiss on the cheek. After that, they both pointed to the door with matching stern faces.

"Out, girl's time." They said simultaneously.

James looked at Sirius wide eyed in horror. He pushed up his glasses and whispered, "That's terrifying."

The girls now smiled. "We love you" they said again at the same time.

James and Sirius both muttered I love you back before running out, almost nervously.

"Thank you Lily." Evalyn gave the witch a big hug.

"Anytime love."