meeting grandpa (pt 1)

*Devi and Ivy meet Kamala's dad for the first time. Thank you to ReneeThornton8 for helping me write this! Enjoy and send suggestions! Love • Bree 🥰*

September 2023 

Doug walks into Ivy's nursery and sees her waking up from her afternoon nap!

Ivy and Doug stayed behind while Kamala and Devi went to the White House for a playdate with Jacob. 

Ivy is just getting better from an ear infection so Doug and Kamala really wanted to make sure she takes her nap, since she has been skipping them or barely having a nap these past few days.

"Good afternoon, sunshine! Hi, baby! Did you sleep good? I think you did!" Doug says as he picks up a happy Ivy from her crib.

"Da da!" Ivy says with a big cheeky grin.

"Yes, I'm your Daddy!" Doug says as he holds Ivy up in the air playfully causing Ivy to giggle.

Today is going to be a special and emotional day because Kamala's dad Donald is on his way to visit them in the Naval Observatory for the very first time.

This will be the first time Donald has ever met Devi and Ivy, something Kamala never thought would even happen.

Kamala and Donald's relationship has always been up and down due to the divorce and their living situations, living on opposite sides of the United States. Kamala and Maya mainly lived there with mother Shyamala but  Kamala and Maya always made sure to visit with him and his side of the family once or twice a year.

However, once Kamala began her presidential run in 2019, their relationship that was already strained became almost non-existent.

Maya has been trying to fix this father daughter relationship because Donald is getting up in age and because she knew their mother would want Kamala and Maya to have a relationship with their remaining living parent.

So today, Maya, Meena and Donald are flying in from California to visit for the weekend, a rare weekend that Doug or Kamala have nothing scheduled and staying in DC.

"Ba ba ba!" Ivy babbles as Doug changes her diaper and freshens her up for company that was on the way.

"Mhm! What else do you have to say, princess? Did Mama give you your ear medicine this morning? I don't remember." Doug says with a chuckle, fixing Ivy's little tights.

"Ma Ma!" Ivy says, looking around for her Mama.

"Yeah, Mama! Mama and Devi are coming back home now! They had a playdate with Jakey while you took your nap." Doug says as he picks up Ivy and they leave the nursery to go downstairs into the living room.

Joe's voice can be heard on the television talking about the auto strike and Ivy's face lights up, seeing and hearing her beloved Pop.

"Pop! Pop!" Ivy says, pointing at the television, causing Doug to smile.

"Yeah! There's Pop on TV! That's an old speech! Let's turn the channel to something more kid friendly, baby." Doug says as he places Ivy down on the couch.

Ivy slides down off of the couch and crawls over to the tan toy box.

"I was gonna get some of your toys out for you, sweet girl. You are independent like your Mama, I can already tell." Doug says with a chuckle as he puts on Ms. Rachel for Ivy on the TV.

Ivy reaches into her and Devi's toy box and gets some of her colorful foam letter blocks out!

"What do you have there, princess? Your letter blocks?" Doug asks his daughter with a smile as he fixes the Ms. Rachel video that wasn't loading until now.