43. Curious

After a hearty breakfast where, much to her amazement, the maids treated her literally like a Queen, Chantal was bored. In addition, she missed her students.

"Not even a day of being his mistress and I already feel so trapped."

She muttered casually taking a walk through the massive garden.

To her annoyance, she spotted guards everywhere who seemed to be keeping their eyes on her.

'Why this man requires so much security is beyond my understanding.'

She wondered and sighed loudly, muttering.

"I feel so spiritless. I cannot take this anymore ugh!"

With that, she rushed inside the mansion. It took her almost five minutes to reach her room as she grabbed her phone and dialed his number.

Rayvonn was in a conference meeting when his phone vibrated. He furrowed thinking who dared to call him at this time but seeing her number popping up on the screen his frown disappeared and instead, his dead silver eyes lit up.

To his employees' utter astonishment, he received her call after motioning with his fingers to pause the meeting for a while.

"I can't stay here anymore."

He looked calm to hear her voice and she frowned when he didn't give her any response.

"Sir, please," she gritted her teeth and closed her eyes before saying the word she hated the most. "Allow me to leave your extravagant property for a few hours or I'll turn insane. This place is creepy and the maids and the guards keep staring at me. I almost got lost twice."

His lips curled up lightly to hear her complaining like a child.

"If you want to break the rule and leave then you can Miss Perez."

He stated and cut the call.

"Hello? Hello? You...you"

Chantal tossed her phone on the bed and covered her face while sitting down.

She clearly got the warning in his tone. There was no way she could even think of leaving the place. Feeling powerless, she made her way to the wide window and sat down on the sofa in front of it while holding her knees close to her breast.

The clock ticked by and minutes turned into hours as she nodded off.

She was awakened by Jane around six causing her to let out a yawn.

"I'm sorry to wake you up, ma'am, but you need to begin preparing for dinner. Normally, we begin at this time."

"Oh yes, the meal for that stupid man."

She muttered under her breath with half-opened eyes and stood up. The maids lowered their faces as Chantal entered the kitchen, then picked up where they left off.

Some of them even looked afraid of her. They were confident that she was a significant figure to their boss and worried that if she disapproved of any of them, they might lose their well-paying job.

Little did they know that Chantal was not at all the way some of them had perceived her to be because she was neither rude nor arrogant.

"Hello everyone, um, this is new for me. Will you guys mind helping me out as it's my first day?"

She asked in a polite tone surprising the other three women while Jane was standing behind her.

"You guys don't have to if you don't want to."

When none of them gave her any response she said.

"We would love to help you out, ma'am."

Jane answered smiling while introducing her coworkers.

"This is Gia, Angela and she is Elena."

"Nice to meet you all."

Chantal waved at them.

After an hour, all that could be heard coming from the kitchen was the women's laughter. The positive attitude of Chantal forced the women to open out.

"We thought you would be a nasty lady who would just order us."

Elena commented as Chantal tasted the meat soup and laughed.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because you are important to our boss and we are just maids here."

Angela answered shrugging.

"Trust me, I'm no one important to him and you guys are great. No work is small or big if you do it to help yourself or to support your family. That's what my papa says."

"Thank you, you are very kind ma'am."

Chantal smiled at Gia, who was the quietest of them all.

"So, what relation do you share with the boss?"

Jane queried as she froze for a brief second.

"We share an official relationship."

She mumbled in a low voice while continuing to cook.

She eventually finished preparing the few dishes she was familiar with and exited the kitchen checking her watch to see there was still half an hour left before he arrived.

Moving towards her room, she made her way upstairs. Curiosity bubbled up inside her just as she was about to walk by the restricted room, causing her to halt.

'Should I take a peek inside?'

She turned her face around the hallway to notice it was empty. There was no one except her.

'No, no, I shouldn't risk it.'

She shook her face fearing the consequences.

'But, one quick look won't matter besides no one would know.'

Her mind urged her to satisfy her curiosity.

Chantal bit her lip and pulled out a key from the back pocket of her jeans and smirked. When she was idly wandering around Rayvonn's room earlier in the day before she took a stroll in the garden, she discovered the key in a drawer of his walk-in closet.

Before inserting the key in the lock while mumbling, she gave her surroundings one last check.

"Maybe I'll find something inside to blackmail that man."

She was about to experience the biggest shock of her life if only she had known. Darkness greeted her as she entered the room after carefully unlocking the door.

She could feel her heart racing and she thought it was due to her being nervous. In order to turn on the lights, she searched for the switchboard as she shut the door behind her.

She blinked her eyes and raised her face to gasp at the scene in front of her as she illuminated the room. Chantal was astonished to see her pictures displayed all over the room. There were various depictions of her in daily life.

"Ho....how wha....what..."

She stuttered, not believing her eyes.

There were pictures of her in her room, dancing, crying, and sleeping. There were pictures of her while going to school, at her favorite café.

"Oh my God!"

She panicked when she realized the man had installed cameras in her room. Without a question, she had a feeling of being watched.

"He has been stalking me."

She licked her dry lips and that was when her gaze went towards another door near the wall.

She walked over to the door, her fingers shaking as she touched the handle. She inhaled deeply before exhaling, curious to see what was inside.