Chapter53: Concerns Pt.2

(Hi, it's me, the author. I miss youuuuu, don't hate meeeeee.)

                              Two Weeks Earlier

"Leo?" Kalina tapped his shoulder.

"Hm?" The dope looked away from his book, and darted his eyes at her.

Her, Cris and Leo were all in his living room, propped up on the sofa. This was supposed to be "the most amazing movie night ever" as Cris had put it.

Cris almost instantly fell asleep as soon as the movie began.

Leo of course had no interest in the movie whatsoever, so he opted to read his book instead. The only reason he was in the living room was to make sure Cris didn't eat anything out of his fridge, or destroy his living room.

"Why didn't Carmin come for movie day?"

"She had to go back home this morning to help her uncle with something." Leo sighed, closing his book and settling it into his lap.

"Her uncle?"

"Yea." Leo nodded. "She....lives with her uncle."

"Wh-"

"Her..." Leo thought for a moment, then spoke. "Her parents passed away last year."

An awkward silence ensued before Kalina thought of another question to ask, "You two met at your school right?"

"Yes."

"It's getting late Leonardo."

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?" Leo clenched his jaw.

"I'm sorry, Leonardo." Kalina joked.

"Stop."

"Carmin calls you that."

"She doesn't listen when I tell her not to."

And of course that was a lie. Leo never told her not to.

"Do you need a ride home?" The dope asked, as he checked the time on his watch."Or is your driver coming to swoop you up."

"Do you mind?"

"I can take you back." Leo let out a yawn.. "I should take Cris too-"

"I'm spending the night with you." Cris yawned as he awoke from his sleep. "I'm jealous you always have sleepovers with Carmin but never with me."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"Whatever."

Not having the time nor the patience to argue, Leo reached for his keys, which were sitting on the coffee table.

"Let's get you home." He sighed once more motioning for Kalina to follow him. "We don't want your Dad going crazy."

"Hush." The girl rolled her eyes, but nonetheless followed after him with a smile.

Kalina had an overprotective father. For as long as Leo could remember her father had been that way. He had met the family when he was around thirteen years old. From the start the old man had treated both he and Cris as if they were menaces to society.

Now that they were older, and he had come to know them, a level of trust was there.

The drive to Kalina's estate was quite somber. Leo watched the road ahead of him and Kalina watched out the window rather thoughtfully.

"You okay?" Leo glanced over at Kalina just as they pulled in front of her house.

"Yea."

"Great, get out of my car." The dope grumbled, unlocking the doors.