Chapter54: Space

Hi.
Missed me?
All rights reserved.
- Malayjahthewriter

Carmin sat the tea cup down on the nightstand, as a deep sigh left her throat. As she eyed the foreign furniture, the foreign curtains, the foreign walls surrounding her she shivered.

It was always hard for her to sleep within unfamiliar environments, but Leo was almost always there to soothe her of that difficulty.

This particular night was different.

Leo wouldn't be with her, or more accurately she didn't want him to be.

She settled her throbbing head onto the pillow and snuggled into the blanket. She didn't bother turning on the television or looking towards her phone. All she could bring herself to do was to stare into the ceiling.

All she wanted was sleep. Sleep prevented her from having to think.

The small girl drifted into slumberland not a second later. Gentle knocking at the door sounded through the room, just as soft snoring erupted from Carmin's throat.

"Piccolina." A voice muttered, as the wooden door turned open. He stopped himself when he saw the small girl curled into the middle of the bed.

As quietly as he could, he closed the door behind him. He tiptoed across the wooden floor, and sat his phone down next to Carmin's on the nightstand. Then he turned so he could have a closer look at her.

He deeply frowned when he saw her puffy eyes, and the lines of stress over her forehead.

She looked exhausted.

Slowly as not to wake her, he climbed under the blanket and settled himself beside her. With all the gentleness in the world, he wrapped his arm securely around her waist and connected their foreheads.

He didn't sleep. He just monitored Carmin's breathing, and watched her. Her words rang over and over again within his mind.

Don't touch me Leo.
Everytime he thought of those words, it felt as if a million needles at once pricked his heart.

A loud ring echoed through the room, breaking his concentration.

Carmin grunted from her sleep.

With a huff, Leo reached over her and promptly turned off her phone.

"Back to sleep Piccolina." He kissed her cheek, and gently pushed her back down until her head touched the pillow.

"Wha-" Carmin blinked her eyes open."What are you doing in here?"

"Just making sure you're alright, go back to sleep, piccolina."

Carmin frowned and pulled away from the embrace. "You can't be in here."

This time, Carmin sat up and shimmied away from his hold.

"Come here little girl." Leo clutched her arm, and tried to bring her closer, but she wouldn't budge.

Carmin reached down for her phone, as soon as she saw that her brother had been the one to call her. She quickly dialed back his number.

"Are you alright Carmin?" Her brother asked promptly.

"I'm spending the night at Leo's parents house, I texted you." Carmin assured him. "And I called Nic."

"Are you alright?" Josh asked again, as if he could sense something.

"Yes. I'm not a baby Joshie."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, mother." Carmin sighed into the phone.