Chapter6: She's Cool

"Okay, I want everyone to partner up. You and your partner are to describe at least one relationship in your life." Dr. Jones clapped his hands together, indicating that it was time for everyone to get a move on.

Everyone dispersed, quickly finding a person they were somewhat familiar with. No one was exactly "friends" with anyone in group therapy.

The therapist shook his head in disapproval when he saw that his two worst patients were without partners.

Just as if on cue the girl with the ramen noodle hoodie and her long haired friend entered the room, initiating an unsavory silence.

"Oh, Malayjah there you are." Dr. Jones looked quite relieved. He didn't think putting Leo and Carmin together after the big library fiasco would pan out so well.

"You'll be partners with Carmin."

"What?" Carmin chucked off her headphones.

"Alright." Malayjah chirped, brushing her hair out of her face. Today, rather than twists her hair was in two secure buns.

Carmin eyed the acne marks scattered over the girls brown skin as she neared her.

"Malayjah is my partner." Zy'Phon, the long haired friend, insisted.

"Actually, you'll be partners with Leo today."

"What!" Leo awoke mid snor at the sound of his name.

Zy'Phon and Malayjah made quick eye contact with each other.

Not quick enough for Carmin to miss it. It was if he was asking for her confirmation with his eyes.

"It's okay Zy'Phon." Malayjah told him just as she went to take her seat next to Carmin.

***

"You start." Leo's raspy voice was a clear indicator of his prior sleep

He sat up in his seat and looked at his younger partner, whose attention was quite clearly on the girl with the ramen noodle hoodie. "Uh What's the assignment?"

"You're supposed to talk about an important relationship in your life." Leo huffed in annoyance. "Since you can't seem to keep your eyes off of your little girlfriend why don't you talk about her. And make it quick, I have to get back to my nap."

"She's not my girlfriend." The peculiar boy sighed, moving his hair over his shoulder.

"Then why are you staring at her like a loon."

"I didn't say anything when you were staring at that short girl last week-"

"I-I" Leo stuttered a bit, not expecting for him to be so observant."Will you just get on with the assignment." He snapped loud enough for the entire room to hear.

The light chatter came to a close and everyone peered in their direction. Dr. Jones, feeling obligated to do so, walked over to the two boys.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"We don't need a babysitter." Leo snarled, turning back to his partner. "Now. You. Talk."

"My relationship with my family is stable.Your turn."

"My relationship with my family is stable."Leo said as he settled back into his chair comfortably. "Good talk."

Dr. Jones rolled his eyes."You're gonna have to get more descriptive than that."

***

"I'll go first." Malayjah moved her chair around to face Carmin much to the older girls dismay. "My relationship with my mother is better than it was before...ish."