a boy named steve

Word count: 633

Warnings: mentions of nightmares, ptsd, shitty parents

A/n: towards the end of the fic is inspired by the song I linked. This is very short and I'm sorry but, I hope you guys like it regardless.

No pronouns used for reader, however I did use the word pretty when Steve describes the reader. I consider that word gender neutral since I use it for everyone.

———————————

Steve Harrington was a boy from Hawkins, Indiana. Life wasn't great to Steve. He had absentee parents, most people would say he peaked in high school, he had nightmares from all the shit he had seen with the upside down. His government appointed therapist said he might have some form of PTSD from it all.

But he had you. You were his sunshine on a cloudy day. As corny as that might sound he truly meant it. He could deal with Keith and his annoying and slightly creepy ramblings about the customers that came into Family Video if it meant that you would come in, even if it was your day off.

Everyone and their mothers could tell that you and Steve were head over heels for each other. How you guys couldn't see it was beyond them. I mean who else would visit someone they weren't dating at work? Steve was even picking up shifts in order to see you more. Even though you visited him on his days off and he picked up extra shifts to see you more, you both claimed to still be "just friends".

He thought you were out of his league. Too pretty, too kind, too smart, too caring, too compassionate, to be his. He wanted to tell you how he felt but he was scared of the inevitable rejection that would come from that. He couldn't stand the thought of her leaving him, all because he wanted you for himself.

He was selfish in that way. In the way that he wanted you to be his, just his. He didn't want to see anyone trying to flirt with you while you were just trying to do your job.

Little did he know that you felt the same way. You desperately wanted to tell Steve how you felt. Every time you accidentally touched his hand or even whenever he said your name, your heart would burst at the adoration you felt for him.

You were in the same predicament that Steve was in. You were scared shitless that if you confessed your feelings to him that he'd just leave and not only would you lose the boy you cared about deeply and your best friend all because of a few words.

One day after work, Steve couldn't take it anymore. He had watch the fifth douche bag of the day walk over to you while you were busy restocking movies and start flirting with you. When you were locking the front door to begin closing, something about the way you were wiping down the counters compelled him to just start spilling his guts.

"Y/n, I have something to tell you." You put the rag down, giving him your full attention and gesturing for him to continue.

"Y/n, it's okay if you don't feel the same. Either way you're still all I see. Y/n, your company is all I need. I just can't keep it inside. It's like a miracle that our worlds collided. If it's meant to be, show me a sign and if not I'll keep all my feelings inside but, I just can't lose you." Steve never broke eye contact with you. His soft brown eyes bore into yours.

You walked towards him, pulling his face to yours and closing the remaining gap with your lips on top of his. You could feel him melt into your kiss. It felt like time stopped around the both of you. Like you were the only two people left on earth. Pulling apart so you could catch your breath.

"Was that a good enough sign for you?" You smirked as you looked up at him.

"I don't know I might need another one to be sure." You smiled at him before leaning in for another kiss.