I'm A What?

Book 1 - The Lighting Thief

!!!!TRIGGER WARNING!!!!

Blood, Suicidal references, violence

      "Ayden!" The woman called. Ayden hid behind one of the crates as she caught her breath. She'd been teleporting and running for blocks, but it still tracked her. A random woman grabbed her in a store before she could run. The woman shifted into this creature thing.

      "Come on. Come on." She breathed. She took another breath and opened her eyes feeling a wave of something overcome her senses. Ayden didn't understand why she had abilities like this. She didn't understand how she could do some of the things she did, but she stopped trying to figure it out a few months ago. It had gotten so bad that she couldn't sleep. She barely slept as it was, but she knew that she was supposed to be somewhere. She could feel something out there, calling to her.

      Ayden blinked several times as her eyes adjusted to the setting sun. She realized she was back outside the warehouse. It didn't take her long to start running once more. A few steps and she was farther down the street. The teleporting had caught her off guard making her stumble as the ground changed underneath her feet.

      She didn't stop to look around or care. All she knew was that the woman wasn't human. She was something from her nightmares. The ones Ayden has had since she could remember. Her mother never soothed her. She always fed into her illusions saying it was all real.

      That was before her mother had killed herself. Ayden doesn't think about her mother much anymore. Not after finding her that night. Ayden called 911 and left her mother's body on the floor. She had to move forward. She felt that if she stopped everything might come crashing back into her. That she would fall apart.

      "Ayden!"

      She didn't know how they knew her name. She didn't know what they wanted from her. Ayden just wanted to be left alone. She ran from the streets seeing a gas station. An old Ford truck idling near the doors.

      Before Ayden could stop herself she jumped into the truck slamming her foot on the gas. The truck squealed, but it didn't move. Ayden looked to the middle seeing the shift and moved it to the 'D'. She pressed the gas down once more as she took off. There were screams from beside her from the owner of the truck, but she didn't stop. She couldn't stop.

      She had never driven before, she was only twelve. She didn't know anything, but she got the gist. Left is the brake right is the gas. She pressed the gas to the floor as she raced onto the road. The truck leaned to one side almost hitting another car as she attempted to weave through traffic.

      "Shit." She breathed moving the wheel back onto the right side of the road. She could see in the mirrors the creature flying in the air. Ayden gripped the steering wheel. Her window was halfway down so she could hear the screeching of the monster as it still followed her. She didn't know where she was going. She had no destination in mind, there was a feeling deep in her gut. She'd always trusted herself. She trusted her own judgment over anyone else's and if she didn't trust herself then how could she trust anyone else?  So she drove onward. Haphazardly weaving in and out of cars.