Brutal

Book 3 - The Titans Curse

"What happened?" Annabeth came into the infirmary

"What happened?" Annabeth came into the infirmary. Percy was sitting just beside Ayden's bed with her hand in his.

"She collapsed," Percy shook his head. "She was having an argument with Thalassa." Annabeth moved to the other side with Grover as the three of them waited. Grover touched Ayden's arm exposing the markings.

"Do we know what these mean exactly?" He asked.

"I've been doing some reading on conduits-."

"What?" Grover stared at her.

"It's what she is," Percy muttered. He reached forward and moved a piece of her hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. She moved her head toward his touch but didn't wake.

"She can call upon the primordial magic when she cuts the marking. It's in place of a sacrifice so she can earn their magic," Annabeth reasoned. She moved her hand over the scar. It was over Achlys's branding mark. "She used this to heal herself after Artemis shot her."

"That's amazing."

"It's not," Annabeth crossed her arms. "She has to pay a price for this and no one knows what it is. She's the first demigod to take the markings. We have no idea what they could do to her."

"We need to figure out what it could be?" Percy didn't take his eyes off the girl.

"We have to worry about Luke and Ki as well, Kronos's army is building constantly," Annabeth added. "She will have to talk with the primes."

"I already have," Ayden whispered. She moved her head a little and looked around. "Where am I?"

"Infirmary," Percy leaned forward. "You passed out, how do you feel?"

"Fine," Ayden took a deep breath. "Tired, but I always feel tired."

"What did Thalassa say," Annabeth gripped Ayden's other hand. She blinked a few times and stared at the ceiling.

"Nothing."

"She didn't say nothing," Percy stared at her. Ayden tilted her head and sighed.

"She didn't know, it could be a number of things," Ayden shrugged. "None of the other conduits had taken the markings, they don't know what will happen, but I don't have a long future." Percy clenched his jaw as he rubbed a hand over his face. No one spoke. Annabeth was chewing the inside of her lip as she thought.