Bigger Threats

Book 5 - The Last Olympian

Ayden didn't sleep at night

Ayden didn't sleep at night. She found it hard when there was no word on Percy yet. She would lie down for an hour. Her dreams would drift to Ki and Cameron, that's when she would get up and go for a swim. In the water, she felt closer to Percy. She associated it with her mother and Percy. She just wanted to feel calm. She knew he was alive, she could feel his heartbeat in her necklace each time she touched it, but she hated not having him here. She liked to think of it as her turn for torment since she would do this to him so often. She would just disappear and he would wonder if she was dead or alive. If she was hurting or fine. Now it was her turn to worry.

She was helping Blair with the sights on the rifle when she heard people yelling. It was urgent yelling, it was excited. She didn't leave Blair's side though.

"You aren't going to go look who it is?" Blair asked. Ayden adjusted the sights and looked down the barrel.

"I can't leave you unattended while you're still learning." She handed her the rifle and looked back. She could hear someone yell Percy, but she wasn't sure.

"I'm better than you at this now." Blair set the rifle down and grabbed her hand. "Let's go." Ayden smiled and teleported toward the crowd. She appeared next to Chiron. Percy was standing in front of her. Ayden let out a giggle as she hugged him.

"Hi." Percy laughed. They leaned back and he kissed her quickly.

"Percy where is Berkendorf?" Chiron asked. Percy's smile melted away instantly.

"He didn't make it," Percy muttered. People started to fill in behind them as they wanted good news. "Luke got away.

"Was Ki there?" Annabeth asked. She'd shoved her way through the crowd. Charlotte was just behind her. The two of them had been working together a lot lately. Ayden thought it was fine since Charlotte seemed to be the most calm with Annabeth. She didn't argue with her like the others.

"No, he wasn't on the ship." Percy shook his head.

"Charlie?!" Silena came forward. She had her hand wrapped around the charm. Her eyes were already puffy. "Charles. Percy, where is he?" Her bottom lip quivered as she looked at the empty space behind him.

"Silena, I'm so sorry." She let out a sob as she fell back. Clarisse caught her.

"No." She cried. "No." She clung to Clarisse's shirt as the Ares girl glared at her sibling.

"Come on, come with me," She whispered to her as she practically dragged her wavy from the group. Others started to walk away too when they realized it wasn't that big of a deal. They'd failed.

"Looks like it's still up to you," Blair patted Ayden's shoulders. She gripped Percy's hand.

"It's not your fault, you know that." She whispered to him. He just gave her a flat smile.