Ayden Made A Gun

Book 4 - The Battle of The Labyrinth

Percy saw her from across the flames of the bonfire

Percy saw her from across the flames of the bonfire. He had been waiting for her to return. Nico was already next to her, the two were talking about something serious. Well, he thought until Nico laughed, a genuine laugh as well. He watched as Ayden smiled at him, her eyes going back to the fire. She could never fully let herself go. She would never let herself have fun completely there was always a part of her that was reserved now.

"How are things with you both?" Berkendorf asked as he sat down next to Percy.

"What do you mean?"

"You're staring at her from across the fire. Make it a little less obvious," He chuckled. He had a small piece of scrap metal in his hands as he tinkered with them. "Are you both official yet?"

"Like—."

"Together, I'm thinking of asking Selena," He smirked. "But I think you should ask Ayden as well. It would be good for you both and you are practically dating at this point." His hands got to work as he messed with the pieces. It was similar to the way that Tyson meddles with pieces as well.

"I don't think she's ready—."

"Oh boy," Berkendorf chuckled. "Ask around Percy, everyone can see it. She cares about you more than anyone else here. she may not make it that obvious to you, but if you aren't with her she'll look for you. Honestly, I'm afraid of the day you both are separated, I think she would do everything to get back to you." Percy stared at him. Berkendorf didn't seem bothered by his words. Percy looked from him back over to Ayden. She'd caught his eyes across the fire. Nico wasn't next to her anymore she was alone. "See. Oh, look she's coming over here now. I'll let you two talk." Berkendorf stood up and quickly walked around the fire. He found his place next to Silena

"Clarisse and Chris seem to be doing good," She sat down on the other side of him. Percy nodded and looked over as he involuntarily leaned closer to her. Clarisse was holding out a stick as her marshmallow caught on fire. Chris quickly pulled it back blowing out the fire as they both smiled.

"They aren't the only ones," Percy muttered as he tilted his head toward Charles.

"Really?" Ayden smirked.

"Yeah, they seem pretty happy."

"Wow. I mean they have been flirting alone lately. I guess that's what happens after a battle. Everyone realized who they can't live without." Ayden muttered. Her eyes quickly moved from Percy to the fire.

"Ayden." She turned to him. She'd heard him say her name hundreds of times, but there were only been a few instances where he sounded like this like he was desperate to tell her something, but it was usually nothing. He watched the flames reflect in her eyes. Percy didn't know how to have this conversation.