Lo Mein

Book 5 - The Last Olympian

Ayden knocked three times and the door flew open

Ayden knocked three times and the door flew open. It wasn't Percy who answered through. It was Sally. Her face broke as she pulled Ayden forward. She let out a sob as she pressed a hand to the back of her head.

"Where have you been?" She pulled her inside. "Here go sit. Are you alright? What happened? Why haven't you called? No one knew where you were." Sally shut the door behind her. Ayden's shoulders shook as she saw the woman dote on her like how a mother would to her daughter. "Ayden, are you okay?" A tear fell from Ayden's eyes but she wiped it away.

"Yeah," Her voice broke. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sally asked. Her voice was so soothing. It touched something shattered inside Ayden. All emotions came to the surface as she stared at the kind woman in front of her.

"They strung me up," Ayden's chin wobbled.

"Oh honey," Sally pulled her to her chest again. "Let's get you to the couch. Do you want anything? Need anything?"

"Just a hug," Ayden's shoulder shook.

"Who did it?" Sally asked. "Only if you want to talk." Ayden leaned back and wiped her eyes.

"Eris and Hecate."

"How did you escape?" Sally brushed her tears away. She too was crying as she saw the girl in front of her crumble.

"I freed myself," Ayden used her sleeve to wipe away her tears.

"Oh Ayden," Sally dabbed her eyes. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault," Ayden shook her head.

"I know, but I wish I could protect you the way you need it." She cupped her cheeks. "I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you are a strong girl. The strongest I know." Ayden leaned forward hugging her once more. "Percy should be home in a few minutes. He's out looking for you right now with Rachel."

"I'm sorry."

"Honey don't apologize, I'm just glad you're safe now." Ayden leaned back and tried to pull herself back together.

"How has he been?" Sally just shook her head.

"He needs you." She admitted. "He doesn't sleep. He just wants to find you." Ayden held onto her charm necklace. "Oh, he does that too." Sally laughed a little as she wiped her tears away.

"Yeah, it's his heartbeat." She held out the necklace to Sally. "Feel it?" Sally touched the charm.

"That's reassuring." She smiled. "I'm going to make you some hot chocolate okay." She leaned forward and kissed her head. "I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."