We're Leaving

Book 2 - The Sea Of Monsters

"I had a dream last night," Ki blurted out

"I had a dream last night," Ki blurted out. Ayden turned around to look at him. The two of them were on border patrol for the next few minutes. When they were relieved, they got to go watch the chariot races.

"I'm glad, usually people dream when they sleep," Ayden shot back. She looked through the woods for any kind of movement.

"No," Ki chuckled. "I mean an unusual one. Everything was dark." Ayden faced him again. "By that look, I'm going to assume you have a similar one."

"Was it," She looked around them. She wasn't going to get into trouble for saying his name, but she didn't want anyone else to know. "Kronos?"

"I think so," Ki furrowed his brows. "He didn't talk."

"Then how do you know?" Ayden asked. Ki leaned against one of the trees as he crossed his arms.

"He just laughed most of the time and I know it's him because of the presence. Usually, in the darkness, I'm not scared because I'm a part of the darkness, but this time," He shook his head. "This time I knew I wasn't alone and I think that's what terrified me more than anything. For once in my life I wasn't the one in control of the darkness around me." He stared off into the distance as he lost himself in his thoughts.

"He wants me for something," Ayden admitted. "He wants me on his side."

"For your power probably," Ki explained. Ayden looked at him and he could see her emotions shift. "I won't let him have you."

"I'm not worried about that," Ayden shook her head. "He knows I have friends. He knows you are the only thing I have left to care for. I don't know what he could do to you all and you know I would protect you all with everything I have left." Ki gave her a tight smile.

"Family is worth dying for," He gave her a tight smile. They could hear the sound of the metal gear as the other guards took their shifts. "Are we ready to see Annabeth win?"

"You mean Clarisse?" Ayden laughed. Ki grimaced.

"Don't bring her up. Annabeth's chariot is going to win," Ki smirked. Ayden shoved him a little as they weaved through the trees.

"Are you just saying that because you like her or is there a real reason?" Ki didn't deny it as they walked through camp. "Just tell her."

"Uhm, no," Ki shook his head. "She wouldn't—she won't." He was starting to stutter. Ayden touched his arm.

"Well breathe Ki, she likes you too, but I understand, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rush you're fifty-step process," Ayden laughed at him as they linked arms.