You're A Real Problem

Book 1 - The Lightning Thief

"You must make them fear you, brute

"You must make them fear you, brute." A man called to her. Ayden was in a dark room. She couldn't see anything, but she could feel another presence was there. "Show them who you are?"

"Who am I?" She asked. Ayden couldn't see herself, but she was younger. She felt like she was five years old all over again. "Who are you?"

"You are a child of Ares. You are the violence amongst the calm. You are the rage amongst the love! You are the chaos to others' peace!"

"I don't want that," She muttered. "But I don't want to be violent anymore."

"You've barely begun little brute. You've barely tapped into your true power, don't fear it. It doesn't fear you, but you know it's there. Let it in. Let it all in."  The deep voice echoed around her. It rapidly grew louder and louder as she covered her ears.

"No. Please, stop!" She screamed out into the darkness. She wanted help, but Ayden knew none would come for her. A force shoved her body and her body fell. 

Ayden jolted awake in the bed. She looked around seeing the small amount of light flood through the front of Ares's doors. She put a hand to her chest feeling her racing heart. It was early, but she decided to get ready and leave. She didn't want to run into Clarisse or her friends, well siblings now. She was having a hard time wrapping her head around the fact that she now had family again.

"Child of Ares!" Ayden didn't realize someone was talking to her as she continued walking down the path. She was going to go scout the woods and training grounds. "Hey, newbie!" Ayden finally turned seeing a guy walk toward her. It was the one she saw yesterday when she was claimed.

"Are you yelling at me?" She asked. He rolled his eyes.

"So you're the problem child?"

"Problem child?" She asked. He threw his hand in the air.

"Clarisse said you were slow," He scoffed. Ayden turned on her heel walking away from him.

"Piss off." The guy grabbed Ayden's arm. She turned punching him in the face as he stumbled back. His hand went to his nose, but no blood came out.

"Bitch," He breathed.

"I warned you."

"You are definitely a child of Ares. Always throwing yourself into a fight," He chuckled. Ayden moved away from him again and he followed. "Well, I was going to introduce myself."

"I don't care. If you're friends with Clarisse then I don't want to know you," Ayden admitted as she glared over her shoulder. The guy laughed again.

"My name is Malaki, but everyone just calls me Ki." He blinked several times clearing his watery eyes. Ayden paused for a moment.

"Are you a child of Ares?"

"Me?" Ki asked. Ayden nodded. Ki didn't give her any time to process as he howled with laughter. "No, what? Ares is not my father." She turned leaving him behind once more, but again he followed her.