Was That A Chimera?

Book 1 - The Lightning Thief

‼️ TRIGGER WARNING ‼️ Suicide, Blood, Violence

Suicide, Blood, Violence

"Momma, please-."

"Ayden! Enough!" Her mother screamed. The child held the slip of paper up to her mom, but she was just so tired. "Ayden, I've had enough okay, just go to your room."

"Mom, it's just a piece of paper. It's not really that hard-." Ayden tried to argue. She didn't understand why her mother was acting like this toward her. She just needed her to sign this slip of paper for a field trip. It wasn't a big deal. It was a signature.

"Ayden, please just leave me alone. I'm done with all of this. I just can't anymore, I can't-," Her mother walked past her. Ayden watched her mother lock herself in the bathroom. The first thing she heard was the shower turn on. Ayden sat at the kitchen table staring at the slip of paper.

Her mother wasn't going to come out of the bathroom anytime soon. She started to look around the counter searching for another piece of scrap paper. She thought that if her mother wasn't going to sign it then she would just do it herself. She practiced several times, but her cursive wasn't the greatest so it was obvious that she forged it. Ayden groaned and wadded up the spar piece of paper throwing it behind her. A glimmer from the floor caught her eye. It was water seeping from under the door to the bathroom.

"Mom!" She called. Her heart raced when she heard no response. "Momma!" Ayden's voice grew raw as the water kept coming. Her feet splashed as she moved closer to the door trying to listen for movement on the other side. "Mom?" She hit her hand on the door a few times, but there was still no answer. "Hey!" She went to turn the door handle, but it didn't turn. She stared at it. "Why'd you lock the door?! You are flooding the kitchen?!" Her hand started to shake as she hit the door a few more times. "Mom! Just open the door! You're ruining the floor!" She looked behind her seeing the water soaking into the carpet.

"Mom, please." Her voice finally broke as she threw her shoulder into the door. Ayden only tried that a few more times before stopping, her shoulder screamed from the impact. She knew she would get nowhere. Instead, she kicked the door. Her foot slammed right above the door handle watching the door bend. She took a deep breath listening to see if her mother would yell, but she didn't. Ayden threw her foot once more into the door watching it crack from the door frame. She shoved it open the rest of the way seeing the water rush out. On the counter, Ayden saw several of her mother's pill bottles.

"Mom?" Ayden called. Her eyes moved from the bottles to the shower curtain. It was sheer, but she could see a figure behind it. Laying down in the tub. "Mommy?" She grasped the curtain slowly drawing it back as she saw her mother's body floating in the water. "No." She quickly turned off the water and lifted her mother's head above the water. "Hey." She groaned as she pulled the dead weight from the tub and onto the wet floor. She stared at her body unsure of what do to. Ayden didn't know how to do CPR she was only nine. She hit her mom's cheek lightly. "Hey!" She screamed at her.