We've Got A New Kid [pt 2]

Book 1 - The Lightning Thief

"You should have told me it was capture the flag today?" Percy muttered as he sat down next to Ayden at breakfast

"Where's the fun in that?" She smiled eating a piece of ham. "It's just a nice game of capture the flag."

"It's for glory. Have you ever been a part of one of these?" Percy asked as he stared at his eggs with his fork gripped in his hand.

"Nope." She took a drink of water. "So we are in this together."

"Who's team are you on?" Percy asked. Ayden stared at him. "Sorry." He laughed.

"Yeah so I'll have your back if you've got mine," Ayden added eating a bit of her biscuit.

"Ayden, I don't think you want me covering your back," Percy reasoned. "I can't even handle a sword."

"So, at least you'll be there to yell out when someone is coming. That's something," She smiled. Percy watched her take another drink before turning to him. She looked at his plate of untouched food. "You need to eat that."

"Are you nervous?" Luke asked as he sat down. Ki sat down next to Ayden. She thought he might say something to her about yesterday, but instead, he gave her a cheeky smile.

"Yes," Percy and Ayden said at the same time. Percy looked at Ayden.

"Why are you nervous?"

"I can be nervous," She admitted. "I'm allowed to be nervous."

"Are you though?" Percy asked. She looked away from him watching a few campers walk past. "Mhmm." Luke laughed at the two of them.

"Look you will both be fine. We are on the winning team anyway," Ki took a bite of bacon. "Annabeth's team is the best. She always wins."

"That sounds a little like favoritism," Ayden glanced at him. He paused his eating as he glared at her.

"You want Clarisse to win?" Luke asked.

"Never said that just surprised she wouldn't throw a fit or something," Ayden muttered as she looked across the tables at the girl who was already staring at her. "Oh, she's happy today."

"She'll be coming for you," Luke added. "This game isn't just for fun. It's to prove who is better. It's for glory. It's about who knows more about strategy. It's about who is better at combat. She will want to go for you or you," Luke pointed at Ayden and then Percy.

"Me, why me?" He frowned.

"You killed a minotaur, alone. That's impressive. That got everyone's attention at camp. Clarisse wants that kind of recognition." Luke explained. "You win something like this and that might just get their eyes again."

"Wait, so you're saying that if I win this then maybe my father will claim me?" Percy asked. Luke nodded. "Well, now I just have to make sure I really don't mess up."