District 12

District 12.

The mining district.

It is the only district where the children are forced to go to school instead of helping their parents work in the coal mines, making them have little to no chance of surviving any bloodbath.

And such a district only had one victor, Haymitch Abernathy, winning through exploiting the arena of his 50th games, a drunk angry man.

All of this district was never meant to survive the games.

All but a small part of it.

As the years went on, Snow realized that always sending new peacekeepers in districts would come with more complications then needed and already back in the 29th, he instilled a peacekeepers' village in each district.

Each district had its own peacekeepers that would grow up like peacekeepers but living in their districts tho with a higher quality of life. This way they would know of the hiding places, the culture and the secrets of their districts and they couldn't be tricked by the citizen.

There were special schools built for them, taught the art of combat and unlike everyone else, the better they did in school, the more of their name slips they could pull out from the community's reaping bowl. Each having 50 put in when they reach 14 and the quicker they advanced the more they could pull until only one was left, and it has gone on for so long that in one year many were able to eliminate more then 2/3 of their names, with their parents paying off the reaping officials.

Tho that had been found out and a new escort had been given to all districts in exchange of lowering the 'name tax' to 30.

And so it was in such environment that was born one girl that would change the face of Panem for ever.

-------------------------------------------------

Katniss didn't have an easy life.

How many tesserae did she have? So much... Just to keep her mother and sister fed.

She learnt to hunt from her father before he died in an explosion of the mines that rocked 12 to the core. Such a tragedy that even their peacekeepers didn't just watch but tried to help with the efforts of digging out what miners might have survived... One of the only times they were on the same side.

Her life was not only hard but complicated.

Her friend Gale clearly was in love in her and she also had an on and off boyfriend, Peeta, and she just couldn't tell how she even dealt with it, who she even truly liked, sticking her in this limbo of uncertainty that was just more stress.

But currently she was smiling, holding the little mockingjay medallion she got for free, thinking of giving it to Prim, her sister.

Of course walking away from that little in the woods secret but not so secret place could not be easy.

Blood.

Blood splattered as screams of pain and begging followed.

This couldn't be avoided.

Looking at the younger boy on the ground but held off it by the front of his shirt, face blood and maybe a tooth knocked out by the amount of blood there was.

The one holding him was one of these peacechildren, what the people to become peacekeepers were called by everyone, her fist covered with his blood as the others just watched on with differing amounts of amusement.