Dinner

"Mom, can I invite Persephone over?" Had asked Prim.

Katniss looked up from her book with which she was trying to distract herself from memories.

"Why?" Katniss was the one to ask Prim who was standing by the window looking towards the third house.

"Because it is just sad, she can't even cook pasta and I've seen her throw each cooking utensil out the window at least once this past week... Plus she always seems to be alone."

Katniss never thought about that and it made her a bit guilty while her mom agreed to Prim's question.

She had tried to go back to normal but nothing was normal anymore. She couldn't look at the other people, at Gale, at Peeta, her sister or her mother the same as before.

She walked over, looking out the window too, seeing three pans out in the law between their houses, one smoking still and Percy sitting at the table in the kitchen eating simply bread and cheese.

She had assumed she'd have her family too and each other them would go their own way... But that was stupid, she was stupid. She hadn't once seem her parents, friends or anyone but her come and go.

And even she, when she woke up screaming, didn't first reach for Prim or even her mother but looked at the door, expecting the woman that promised to protect her to durst in.

And she was making herself even more guilty by remembering little things like the ring still being with her or that one time when Percy mentioned offhandedly that her birthday would fall near the games when they fought about who was the little one, or even how she was there to help her but Katniss would've not been since they came back.

"I'll go ask her." She said.

"Oh, alright, I'll help mom set up then." Prim said.

Katniss through one a coat, winter was growing closer so the nights were cold.

The gravel creaked under her boots as she thought.

She had not seen Percy with her friends since they came back but she saw them around town, she had gotten in fights with Gale about the kisses and the need to survive the games and Peeta was the one to ask her how Percy was going and being unable to answer.

She was trying to leave the 74th behind but had left someone back with it.

She was an insensitive asshole.

She knocked on the front door, stepping back a bit.

It took a moment for the door to open and the sight was not that good, or at least a part of it.

Percy's outfit was changed to the times, long sleeves turtleneck with the rest being the same other then the Capitol logo being cut out and not even sewn together... Did she not know how to sew? Probably not if what she told her was correct. She had seen the X scratched in the jacket before which was another point in the no sewing skill.

What she didn't like were the dark circles under her eyes and the bottle of alcohol she held.

"Oh hi." She seemed surprise by Katniss, which meant she got used to her being gone... Can anything make Katniss feel less of a dick please? "Come in come in."

She did and it was just a sad sight.

"Sit on the couch, I'll get water." She did.

There were a few takeout boxes stacked in the trash, a fruit peel kicked in the corner, the rest of the messed up attempt at cooking that had not been thrown through the window.

And not only that but the house had no personality, it was still the blank husk of the house that they gave them. Nothing personal was in here, only the rests and mess proved someone lived here, no carpet, no paintings, no books, no framed pictures, decorations, nothing outside of the twin swords thrown into the corner of the room.

"Here." She grabbed the glass as Percy cracked open a beer can, drinking from it.

"You shouldn't drink, you see what it does to Haymitch." Katniss said, only getting a shrug back.

"I can stop when I want, it is just a can." But Katniss knows, it always starts like that.

She had people in her life while Percy seemed to have no one... Yes guilt yes, keep piling on, you are not heavy or anything.

"I came to ask you if you want to come over for dinner." She said after a while.

"Hmmm?"

"Prim, she noticed that the pans seem to have grown wings and have been taking flight."

"Ah... Well I don't really know how to cook... Or really much of anything domestic." Percy rubbed the back of her neck. "I was taught how to fight and we'd pay someone to do that stuff at ho--back in my parent's home. I was meant to be a peacekeeper after all." Awkward chuckle.

No wonder the house had nothing homey, she didn't even consider it home.

"Well you can come over, we made a bit too much and it would go to waste otherwise." She stoop, putting the glass down without drinking from it.

"I don't want to intrude in your life."

"Come on Percy, you are part of my life want it or not. I am just sorry I took a while to realize."

Percy knew Katniss didn't mean it like that but she still felt her heart in her throat, smiling through the feeling.

"Well, I'll gladly come if you'll have me."

"Of course we would, now come on because if we make Prim wait she'll give me an earful."

Percy chuckled, putting the can down, more then happy to follow.

It felt so odd to have a mom cooking for you, seeing her kiss the head of her youngest while patting the oldest on the shoulder, even serving Percy a plate for her.

It was not something she was used too.

It was nice.

But she fears the more time she spends here, the more her heart will know what it truly feels while she is trying to remain ignorant to avoid the pain.