Peeta

"Stop following me." Percy snapped.

The silence and the few mockingjays would be her only company with the cracking of drying leaves under her boots and the little river since she was not going towards the market in the forest.

And today was the day, out of every other day, that she wanted to be alone... But.

Crashing sounds.

Sigh.

"Nah, it's more fun together, we are blonds, brunettes don't know how to be fun." Peeta said, struggling to follow her. "You can't just abandon me with them like that, for once we are equal numbered."

She hissed between her teeth.

"So you don't want to coddle you pour friend that has been hit but the big bad mutt?" She crossed her arms, leaning against the nearest tree trunk.

"Nah, it is more acquaintances since we both know Katniss. And I don't know what he did but to deserve that it must have been something."

"Oh yeah? And how do you know that?" She pushed off the tree, arms held up, palms open. "Did anyone I hurt deserve it? Maybe I just wanted to beat his nose in."

"Gale has the ability to piss of people, many would wish to punch him don't worry."

"Why?"

"Do you really have that much trouble believing that I trust you and you said he lied so there."

"I don't understand you... Why are you justifying my actions? They have no basis, I hurt people I liked it, I hurt you because before working in the bakery you were a frail child I could take advantage off and I love that. I liked being strong, I was the best of the generations and everyone was beneath me. I laughed and lived to torment people." Stepping into his personal bubble, he was younger then her but almost her size, damned growth spurt. "So tell me what is there to believe in this? Why is it not my fault? Why are you my friend even? Why did you want me to come back? I caused nothing but pain and don't deserve this."

"And who's saying that?"

"Who? Everyone!"

"Really? Or are you just telling yourself that?" She stepped back, uncomfortable. "You are the best, the strongest, sure you tormented us frail people as you said but the moment your name was pulled I felt sorry for you, even before that, I was sorry for you."

"Why?!" Throwing her arms up.

"You always looked so sad."

...

?

"Well." He said since she said nothing. "Just hurt us, beat us, laughed at our torment but I never blamed you. It always seemed like you were taking it out on yourself... Hurting us weaker ones because you finally had the strength now while when you were in our place you could do nothing to stop the hurt."

She didn't like being an open book, he should by a psychologist not a baker's son.

"And that's why you wanted me to survive?" She scoffed with a smile. "What a shitty cause."

"Everyone deserves to be happy, even you, and you still keep telling yourself you don't deserve it."

"I'm not? Since when am I not?"

"Percy... When was the last time someone said they loved you?"

...

..

.

"Thought so... The you today is the you you needed before and yet you still want the same thing, I don't know what but you blind yourself, something is holding you back."

She shook her head with a 'is this guy for real' smile on her face.

"Gale pissed me off." She shrugged. "I did mean to hit him but not for no reason."

"As I said, he can piss off a lot of people."

"Not a surprise but his hit was foul, bringing up Artemis." Peeta had no idea who that actually was, it didn't even sound like a name, never having heard it. "They all think they know everything there is to know but they don't. Looking at what he did and not who he was."

But she herself hated Artemis more then anyone else could while also missing him and wishing he was around... Such a fucked up girl she is.

And if she thinks too much about this...

"Hey Peeta? Are you still bothered by the other candidates?"

"Candidates?" He asked, not expecting this turn.

"Yeah, or peacechildren as you call us."

"Euhm, well always." Sure they had the tendency to all be assholes to normal citizens.

"What if I taught you how to fight?"

"What?"

"Come on, don't chicken out."

-------------------------------------------

That night dinner was tense even if the girls tried to hide it, Prim didn't seem to notice, the mother did but she would let them figure it out.

Without a goodnight, they had both retreated to sleep.

Both feeling like they were stupid in how they dealt with the situation.

One feeling stupid for storming off with a single word more.

One feeling stupid for letting Peeta go without even just words to pass on.