Reaping

Percy sighed.

She was in the town square once again, walking around because she just needed to be away.

It had been such a long time since that day. Peeta had apologized to her more then needed. Life had moved on.

But she still couldn't get over Katniss being happy with it.

She was so distracted she didn't realize the crowd forming until she was pushed to the side and she was leaning against a building.

"Rude." She muttered to herself as the huge screen turned on.

This was where they'd watch the reapings... Oh yeah, the announcement always takes place a day before the reapings, or at least that's what the history book about the quarter quells said.

She sat on the step of the shop, seeing enough from here.

"People of Panem." Snow's voice came through the speakers, quieting the mutters born of fear. "Tomorrow we will once again celebrate a quarter quell!"

"Celebrate my ass." She thought bitterly, it would be the first year she'd be a mentor with Katniss, it will be a harsh start as mentors.

"As we know, quarter quells are to remind the people of the tragedy of the first rebellion and all the death it brought. To keep the memory of loss fresh for all."

It was fresh each year you bastard.

"And this year, for the 75th Hunger Games... The tributes will be reaped from the existing pool of victors."

It was like the world had gone silent around her, as if she was locked in a room with nothing but her thoughts.

But the spell was broken.

"Victors are to present themselves to the reapings no matter their age, status or health with only one volunteer allowed per district."

"WHAT?!!" Her yell tore through the air, it seemed to be then that people realized that they had showed one of the victors to the side while gathering to look at the announcement but she was just gaping at Snow on the screen.

This... This one volunteer rule was to be certain at least one of the victors that he wanted dead would be dead.

Percy knew that she was less danger then Katniss, with one volunteer he can almost force the game for her to die or let Katniss be killed. And she won't let that happen, if she dies Katniss will not fight on but if Katniss dies all dies too and Haymitch volunteering can only save one of them... Haymitch...

She was on her feet, looking in disbelief before almost stumbling backwards and taking off in a sprint.

Step step STEP STEP VLAM!!

Haymitch's door was thrown open.

Percy almost falling inside, on her knees by the time she stumbled to him.

"If she gets chosen you must volunteer, please."

"It has not even by five minutes since the announcement."

"Please Haymitch, this can't be happening."

"I know, this is shit..."

"I beg of you..."

-----------------------------------------

12 was colder then it ever has been in any winters.

On the stage stood their three victors.

One a drunk, one a hunter, one a candidate.

Three backgrounds, one possible fate.

The plan was set, if Katniss gets chosen, Percy and Haymitch wait to see who of them will be reaped and only then volunteer for Katniss because if they do it before her name goes back in the bowl for the second draw.

"Welcome 12... To the reaping." Even Effie was less peppy then she usually was, wearing minimal makeup and a simple dress with butterflies.

Percy held her arms behind her back, trying to be stoic but it was hard.

"Time for the first pull." Her hand shook a bit, not liking what what going on. "Persephone Loras."

Shit shit shit.

This was bad.

If Effie pulled Haymitch, Katniss can volunteer, or she could volunteer now and switch her out, making it possible she and Haymitch go in the arena and she can't do anything against it.

She stepped forwards with a sigh, hoping Katniss wouldn't play the saviors, that she'd stay silent, she has a family to protect, she needs to stay in 12.

"The second name... Haymitch Aberna--" "I volunteer as tribute."

"Katniss!" Percy hissed.

"We are a team aren't we? You'll need my long range."

Percy was just broken, the worst of what could happen happened, or was it not chance? Was this reaping planned to get rid of both of them? Who knows but Percy feels so distraught that she had no say over this.

Dropping her head, dammit.

Lifting it to see Prim move to raise the three finger salute, following by her mother, Peeta, even the fucker Gale, following by all.

She didn't really do it before since as a candidate she had considered herself above these people once, not anymore. In scary synchronicity, she and Katniss gave it back.

"To the train!" Katniss was grabbed, then Percy.

"Wait I get to say goodbye!" Katniss begged.

"Change of plans, we are leaving now."

"I get to say goodbye!" She yelled, dragged inside as Prim screamed but was held back. "Goodbye!" She yelled before she was pulled away from view.

And towards her imminent death.