Transmission

(I might rename the story just 'Jacker And Jay' since that's how Percy tends to call trackerjackers and mockingjays, even if the cover art wouldn't change)

Red.

Were the walls always red?

Her head is spinning...

Gasping in pain, blood splattering in a spray.

"You'll do what I want."

But he was dead, she killed him.

What's going on here?!

----------------------------------------

It didn't feel real.

Nothing really did.

Fuck... Fuck you Johanna... Fuck you and how right you were...

Katniss never missed anything as much as she currently did.

Like an arrow had been shot through her heart and no one was skilled enough to remove the painful intrusion.

"Come on, you need to eat a bit more." Peeta tried. "It's not good to not eat at all Katniss."

Peeta... The boy that wormed his way in to be Percy's best friend while never having known her before... Everywhere just reminders of her...

"Oops." He accidentally knocked over a glass, struggling with depth perception ever since he got hurt in the eye by shrapnel from the bombs blasting up 12, the doctors said he should heal but that was not for right now. For now boyo looks like a goofy pirate from those story books.

He was also Katniss' friend of course, past ex she remained close friends with, much more tolerable then Gale not understanding why she won't just 'move the fuck on, that's what she would have wanted' seemingly the only other person from 12 to understand her sudden disdain for the guy when they had been besties for so long and in a love triangle with Peeta back then.

She watched the flowing water as Peeta tried to clean it up, feeling empty, hollow.

Bastard... Percy you bastard... Making a promise with Heymitch to save her... But who'd save Percy? 

She never asked to be saved, always protecting everyone... Katniss should have done something, anything... Damn... Fuck...

No she doesn't even know if she is alive anymore.

...

Was it luck? Or was it the world being cruel?

But the screens hanging in the eating hall buzzed alive, transmitting news that the commanding heads of 13 wanted them to see, Katniss is sure, or they would have censored this.

---------------------------------------------------

Tap, tap, tap, tap, ta--WHACK!!

Percy's head jerked forwards.

"Stop that." Caesar glared at the woman. "They can't see blood on the cameras." Was the reason he snapped at the peacekeeper for whacking Percy for tapping her foot on the ground.

The blonde took a deep breath, she wasn't really enchanted to do this but the news of Katniss being alive and with the rebels was a factor in it.

Despite being where she is, if with this she can provide some protection, she'll suck it up and be buddy buddy for a broadcast even if her body aches.

Cuts, jabs, cracks, all hidden under the stiff and stifling white suit, the collar of it being up and she could feel the sharp spikes poke at her throat when she swallowed, no doubt that it was not just stiff fabric and she could bleed herself more if she tried.

Wringing her hands, spinning the white ring on her hand as she waited for the camera crew to set up.

She was losing touch with reality, she felt it, it felt more and more like a dream... The screams, the pain, the agony... She couldn't tell when it was real or her mind playing with her... Trying to cling on.

With a deep breath, fixing her pose when she was ordered.

"Hello. Good evening--" Caesar's voice seems so... Distant... Was... Was this another fake moment? What was she hallucinating again?... "So?"

"My, I am sorry, I was admiring your suit so I wasn't listening, is it new?" He voice was a bit hoarse, making her clear her throat, all the screaming didn't help.

"I said there is rampant speculation about what really happened in the quarter queel and we are here to shed a little light on the subject with your help Mrs. Loras."

She had a hard time to remain centered, spinning the ring.

"Oh I would love to help."

"Well talk to us about where happened the final night."

"You know." She said, looking up. "First there is one thing you need to understand about the games. You wish for something, one thing and it costs more then anything in your life. It costs your life itself."

"Hmm? How so?"

"Murdering innocent people Caesar, that costs everything you are." Looking at him. "You become a monster, a murderer, you can never be who you were."

"So... That wish?"

"You hold on it, that's what keeps you alive... My wish was to protect Katniss, to make sure she survived and went home to her family... I should have just just ditched them with her when we decided on it, none of this would have happened.""

"Why didn't you? Caught up planning with Beetee?"

She scoffed.

"No... I was caught up playing friends with the others... But then they separated us... That's how I lost track of her and thought I outright lost her... While fighting with Brutus, that's when the force field around the arena just... Blew up."

"Yes I understand but Persephone, Katniss was the one to blow it up."

"What? No." Refusing to believe it.

"You saw the footage."

"No you don't get it, she didn't realize the consequences of her actions. We we part of a bigger plan without knowing, manipulated to do their bidding."

"So you had no idea about what they were planning?"

"Not a single one."

"You know nothing about the rebels?"

--------------------------------------------

"Trust me Caesar... I don't give a single crap about them... If ratting them out was what could buy Katniss her safety, I'd do it without blinking twice."

The short end of the discussion was not heard as there was a huge uproar of anger and hate directed at the screen.

Katniss just looked of in stupor, a bowl of the slop they had to eat shattering on the screen and she almost expected the on screen victor to start bleeding from it before the broadcast was cut.

She felt a hand grab hers, slowly bringing her to the present.

"See, she's alive." Peeta tried to reassure and that was all he could find to say.

"But that doesn't sound like her..."

"Maybe she made a deal with Snow, a deal to keep you safe, you know she'd do it."

"... We are all still playing this wretched game..." She took a deep breath... "I need to see Coin... She wants a mockingjay? She better think of the trackerjacker too then."