Platform

"The baby idea was a stroke of genius. Unfortunately, the games are still on."

Percy sighed at Haymitch's words.

"Well, I tried," Percy muttered, giving a half-defeated smile.

"Well... Here." Effie handed a little necklace to her.

"What's that?" Katniss asked.

"Don't you remember? We are a team, Haymitch has a golden bracelet, me my golden hair, you the mockingjay pin and Percy what she requested.

She opened the little pendant and smiled before closing it and putting it around her neck.

Effie looked ready to cry.

"You deserve so much better... Both of you." And she sniffled, with a little hug, hurrying away before she cried in front of them.

"Alright, you are soon going in there." Haymitch grabbed Katniss' shoulders. "Don't forget who the real enemy is."

She gave him a hug before backing up to get her tracker injected.

Percy stayed behind.

"The deal stands Haymitch, between me and her, always help her. She needs to win this and I will not let myself get in the way of that."

"You damned fool." The older man said, shaking his head. "But yes, we agreed on it. I'll save her before I save you but do not die too soon."

"I don't plan on it. A jacker can sting several times."

"Then sting where it hurts and make it to the end."

"I will for I am her shield and sword." With a smile, she left his side.

"Love might blind, but it has opened your eyes." She heard, smiling to herself but not stopping.

(I am ignoring the one token rule because I need the pendant and she can't give up her rings because plot points.)

"Love is for fools." She muttered, looking at the back of her head. "And I am the worse of those fools."

-------------------------------------------

Standing in the underground facility before they'd be sent into the games was something.

Holding Katniss' fingers, it was time to part ways.

"You know." Percy said. "I may not sound it, but when faced with death, I find myself a little afraid." She offered a little smile. "Perhaps this is one thing candidate and citizen both have in common... Heh... Farwell little hunter." Permitting herself a kiss on her cheek before walking after her designated peacekeepers before she got any more emotional.

Taking a deep breath to not look back.

They'll meet again in the maws of death soon enough.

In their personal torment.

--------------------------------------

This outfit was weird, it was like a suit made of a fabric that made her feel cold as if it was full of holes.

The damned tube loomed in front of her.

A deep breath to calm her heart, spinning the black ring with a stony expression, lets do this.

She had tied her blond hair back in a tight pony tail.

Lovesick Percy? Time to take the back burner, come forth candidate and rise to the occasion, show them what steel and blood you were forged from.

Maybe it is from the training.

Maybe it is from the trauma.

But Katniss was right.

Percy flipflopped between personality like a broken light switch, able to be the cold hearted and the teasing when a situation called for one or the other.

And today, the monster, the once in a generation candidate, was back.

Stepping in the tube sealed her fate.

Raised up, frowning as she was blinded.

Damn the cornucopia is much farther then it was for the 74th.

The forest behind her was made of trees she's never seen.

But the worse came when she looked down.

Eyes wide.

Standing on a platform in the middle of water so deep she couldn't see the bottom of it.

"Shit." She doubted many could swim... Right? There can't be lakes to swim in in every district but it still worried her, district 4 are good swimmers, fishing district, and Finnick is only two platforms away from her.

She balled her hands up, stopping the fear seeping in, why didn't she know the swim? Didn't they teach that to candidates? Since they could be transferred out of their district if it was urgently needed... Because swimsuits covered nothing and people are so damned touchy... Katniss didn't need to know that.

But seeing this body of water left a bitter taste in her mouth now.

Almost distracting her from the count down, peeking at it when it was ten seconds to go.

Her mind was racing, trying to figure out what too do.

This is not good.

Wait... Is that Haymitch's golden bracelet?