十ニ

𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐄𝐋 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 ー 残酷な意図

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞  ⎡ 𝑨𝒗𝒐𝒊𝒅 ⎦

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞 
⎡ 𝑨𝒗𝒐𝒊𝒅 ⎦

꧁꧂

"There's three Demon Slayers coming from the right," Rui muttered to himself as he gazed out the window of his rundown home, the moonlight shining down through the gaps in the leafy treetops. "And two from the left. I can tell that they're stronger than the other three—of Hashira caliber. They won't be easy to take care of..."

    "When you say that..." (Y/N) started as she stood up from her place at the table, her eyebrows furrowing and her hands clutching the edge of the wood dangerously tight. "Do you mean... that you're going to kill them? Why let that other Hashira live in the first place, then?"

    Rui didn't answer her, merely stared at her with that intense gaze of his.

Neither of them moved.

"Why... do you keep wanting to help them?" He finally uttered lowly.

    "Huh?" She glanced up, finding that his gaze was not pinned on her like she thought, but out the window and toward the moon.

     "Why do you keep insisting on letting them live when their only purpose is to completely eradicate us?" He continued, his blue eyes wavering ever so slightly when they finally turned to meet hers. "Why can't you only care for me? Why care for them when they've only tried to kill you? Why? Tell me... honestly... why?"

(Y/N) couldn't answer him immediately.

She didn't even know if there was an answer—all she could think of was that deep-rooted sense within her that kept her from killing humans.

Yes...

    Why?

"I don't know," she finally admitted. "I really... don't know."

"I see," Rui sighed as he let his hand brush her cheek, the cold feeling of her skin familiar and warm to him all at the same time. "I suggest you stay here. If there really are two Hashira... I don't want you to get involved. I want you to stay safe."

"Okay," she nodded numbly.

    "I'll return," he said as he slid open the door, giving one last glance back. "I promise."

With that, he was gone.

(Y/N) didn't know how long she sat there, but it felt like hours. She could move, and she knew she could, but it was more as if she didn't have the heart to do so. Yet, the longer she sat there, the longer she felt the moon's rays brushing against her skin—almost like it were burning her very flesh off. It was a disgusting feeling, and combined with the voices ringing constantly in her head, she felt as if her very being were splitting apart.