The Clouded One -18

WC: 1142

Lan Xichen removed Liebing from his lips. "Wei-gongzi!" He had intended to remind Wei Wuxian that his current body belonged to Mo Xuanyu, who was related by blood to JIn Guangyao—and more closely than the latter was to Jin Ling. Things would only grow more fraught if Nie Mingjue identified him as a target for his vengeance.

But before lan Xichen could say another word, Lan Wangji turned to him and shook his head, looking both calm and compsed. Lan Xichen immediately understood what he meant. There was no need to worry—Lan Wangji believed Wei Wuxain would be fine. Lan Tian on the other hand, had no doubt that Wei Wuxian would survive, but still believed him to be an idiot.

Wei Wuxian whistled an easy tune, complementing his easy stride. The whistling was calm to the ear, but the idyllic melody sounded eerie against the backdrop of Guanyin Temple littered with bodies in the middle of the raging storm. Wen Ning remained sprawled on the ground by Lan Tian, Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng, but when he heard the song, an unusually powerful urge seemed to drive him to stand. He struggled a moment, then fell over again, perhaps becasue he managed to resist the compulsion, or because he hadn't yet regained his ability to move. Jiang Cheng and Jin Ling both unconsciously reached out to catch him, but they looked conflicted about it, as though they also wanted to drop him immediately.

A strange feeling also washed over Lan Tian, one as if telling them to act, or to do something, but they weren't sure what. With only a moment's thought more, they began to call on the near by corpses to gather around their small group, just in case of something.

Grinning, Wei Wuxian continued to whistle what sounded like a whimsical tune. He backed away at an unhurried pace, hands clasped behind his back. Nie Mingjue remained where he was. He seemed indifferent when Wei Wuxian took his first step back, and even the third did not move him. But by the seventh, it seemed he could no longer withstand the power of that compulsion, and took a step in the direction Wei Wuxian was heading—

Which was towards the magnificent, empty coffin in the temple's rear grounds.

As long as Nie Mingjue went in there, Wei Wuxian had a way of sealing him away.

The corrosive white smoke had long since dispersed and was no longer a thereat. Nie Mingjue's expression was dark and steely as he was guided to the empty coffin, which seemed to instincively repulse him. Everyone, especially Lan Wangji, watched with bated breath as Wei Wuxian circled around the coffin.

as he continued to whistle leisurely, Wei Wuxian tossed a look Lan Wangji's way. When their eyes met, he gave Lan Wangji a flirtatious wink.

A barely perceptible quiver rippled through the guqin music flowing from Lan Wangji's fingers, as if they'd been prickled by a small needle of sweetness. But the vacillations was instantly calmed. Wei Wuxian, feeling a bit smug, turned his head back to Nie Mingjue and patted the rim of the coffin.

Finally, moving at a painfully slow pace, Nie Mingjue leaned down. But just as he was about to lay half his body into the coffin , there cam a sudden, horrid cry form behind Lan Xichen.

Nie Mingjue stopped mid-action and whipped his head around, as did everyone else. They saw Su She with JIn Guangyao on his back; one of his hands supporting Jin Guangyao's thigh and the other gripping a sword dripped with blood. Nie Huaisong lay collapsed on the flood, clutching his leg rolling around in pain.

At the sight of this, Lan Xichen used Shouyue's sword qi to strike the hand with which Su She held his blade, leaving him stunned as the hilt slipped free of his grip. Nie Huaisang had already been wounded, and the air was tinged with the scent of blood.

Jin Ling quickly used his hands to cover Lan Tian's mouth just as they were about to voice a handful of tasteful curses Su She's way. He pulled them back to his chest and tried to calm them.

Nie Huaisang and Nie Mingjue were half brothers, born of different mothers but sharing the same father. The smell of Nie Huaisang's blood wouldn't rouse Nie Mingjue's murderous intent, but it would rouse his curiosity. That curiosity would lure him into renewed proximity to Jin Guangyao, who would then regain his attention. If Jin Guangyao was killed, Nie Mingjue's ferocity would no doubt escalate—and thus make him all the harder to subdue!

Sue enough, Nie Mingjue growled as he moved away from the coffin. He instantly recognized who lay on Su She's back, and not even Wei Wuxian's whistling could restrain him any longer. Nie MIngjue hurtled over like a blast of wing, his grasping hand aiming for Jin Guangyao's head.

Su She swiftly sidestepped. He kicked up the longsword which had previously been struck to the ground and gathered every last bit of spiritual power he had to aim the blade at Nie Mingjue's heart. Perhaps because it was a matter of life or death, the attack was miraculously fast and fierce. The sword was filled to the brim with his spiritual power, glowing with a stunning brilliance that put all his previous attacks to shame.

"Beautiful," said Wei Wuxian, unable to resist praising it.

The explosive attack forced Nie Mingjue to take a single larger step back. But as soon as the spiritual light dimmed, he moved forward once more, relentlessly grabbing at Jin Guangyao. Su She flung Jin Guangyao to Lan Xichen with one hand while he slashed at Nie Mingjue's throat.

Even Though Nie Mingjue's body was as impenetrable as iron, the thread sewn around his neck might not be. If only he had landed the attack it might have at least bought them some time. But the sword had just been infused with a sudden burst of spiritual power that was well beyond its capacity. Without warning, it shattered into pieces mid-swing. As for Nie Mingjue's strike...it landed squarely on Su She's chest.

Su She's brilliance had only lasted a moment. He didn't even have time to cough up blood or say any respectable or ruthless last words before the life in his eyes was instantly snuffed out.

"Shit." Lan Tian muttered to Jin Ling, as they both sat wide eyed. Neither of them were Su She's biggest fan, but to die in such a way.

Jin Guangyao, lying next to Lan Xichen in a heap, also witnessed this. A hint of tears glistened in his eyes, perhaps because of the immense pain and blood loss from his midriff and severed hand. There was no time for him to catch his breath or lick his wounds, however. Once Nie Mingjue withdrew his hand, he turned around and stared predatorily in Jin Guangyao's direction once more.