urfavauthor being a menace

Elliot's POV:
My eyes shot open, sweat pooling around my forehead as I reached forward and felt Maya's hand still clutching mine. My phone screen lit up on the floor by my feet and the time read 3.48am. My stomach was in knots as I pushed away the memory-like pictures flashing through my mind at the horrific nightmare I'd endured.

The pit in my stomach grew larger as I tried to fight back the tears, it had felt so real. "Baby." I whispered, poking her cheek. She stirred a little. It sent shivers down my spine. "My love." I whispered again, this time she scrunched her nose in her sleep. This wasn't enough to ease the fear buried in my chest so once again I whispered "My moon and stars." Her eyes opened gracefully as her lashes fluttered, it was dark in the room but I could make out the blinking of her eyes as I inhaled.

"Eli. What's wrong?" She asked so gently, I felt myself unravel. The attempts at holding everything in failing miserably as I relayed the story of what I'd just seen. She listened intently, before urging me to get in beside her. Months of anguish, from her going missing, to me using again, the nightmare had been too much. "I'm not going anywhere." She reassured as she ran her fingers through my messy curls. "I can't lose you." I rasped, my body shook as she wrapped her arms around me.

The grief felt all too real, Maya was okay, she was alive. But I'd seen a casket. I'd given a eulogy. Goosebumps were covering my skin as I began slowing down my breaths to avoid getting too loud. Her hand was stroking my jaw and I squeezed my eyes tight to shake off the nightmare. It wasn't real.

The next day...
"I think it's time you go back to school sweetheart." Maya's mom smiled softly as her hand patted my back. I finished chewing the cold sandwich which Rue had packed for me to eat while she headed off to school. Maya was in her first therapy session, it had been a few hours since I'd seen her. "I will Ma'am. I will." I promised as my thoughts picked up where they'd left off.

This morning the nurses had taken Maya into another room to run tests on her, shortly after they'd bathed her and then immediately she was taken for therapy. My skin itched at not being close to her, but I knew I couldn't hold her back. She was okay. Breathing. That's all that mattered.

Maya's POV:
"I understand you're an addict, Maya." The man in front of me asserted as my eyes focused in on the stain on his shirt. Right by the button that was almost popping open. "Maya?" He said a lot gentler this time. "What?" I asked, reluctant to give him anything in this session. "When did you first take a drug?" He asked. I didn't even hesitate and spewed up the first thing that came to mind, the same story I'd had to tell in group therapy also. "Smoked weed with a friend in an empty park."

His eye twinkled as he leaned back in the chair they'd pulled from one of the other rooms. It made my eyes swipe along the colourful walls, a big poster in the centre of the wall, directly behind his head. I'd read it when I'd first walked in but my brain went blank as I tried to remember what it said. "You're lying." He assumed as my eyes bored into his. I was so overwhelmed, with my mom and Eli breathing down my neck, Rue could barely look at me, Maddie and Kat thinking I'd break if they looked away from me for a second.

I began standing up and I noticed he was unbothered in trying to stop me. "You seem like a nice man Stan. But I really don't want to talk to you about my feelings." I said. I had a hand on my forehead as I watched him lean forward and place his hands below his chin in a triangle shape. He looked at me like he could read me and I hated it. "Get some rest Maya. We'll speak tomorrow." I wanted to scream, my throat was constricting with stress and hunger and sadness. When Elliot had broken down last night I'd realised how much weight he'd been carrying on his shoulders this entire time. It made me feel guilty, responsible, the cause of his relapse. My head was pounding and my heart was racing, as I weighed my options. I decided to sit back down. I could see the small smile in his eyes, pride as if he'd finally got through to me. If I didn't speak now, he'd still be here tomorrow. There was no point trying to fight it.