Ch. 1 - First Day

*rewritten from original*

Enjoy!

"High school just reminds me of the smell of gasoline."

"Really?" You silently laugh at Phil and his comments. "Why gasoline?"

"Because last year, I kept seeing cars and people driving. They were so free."

"Where they now?"

He nods as you two step up on the small stairs at the front of the school. It introduces you to its loud sound of concrete and rubber from the bottom of your shoes.

Your friend and yourself faced the street and sat on those steps. The friend of sixth grade. Best friend, using the scientific term. "What's your schedule," that friend asked as he held up his folded one between him middle and index fingers. You nod and pull your backpack off of your shoulder to pull out the paper that holds your classes of this year. Phil and yourself switch schedules and read the printed words. He nods, "well, we've got some classes together."

"I know. At least it won't be complete hell."

"Oh, come on, Y/N. Look at the bright side. Soon, we'll have freedom. College? Uni?"

"That's not till forever."

"You're exaggerating," he smiles, yanking back his class schedule and giving back yours.

You heard a cloud of footsteps and laughter in front of you, making you look up at the familiar presence of a certain teen you did not appreciate. Phil looked up, too. He smiles and nudged your shoulder. "It's Dan."

"I'm not blind."

The group of boys soon flooded over and around you two, trying to get into the school. The boy you hated with a passion smiled widely at you and Phil, "hey, Philip, how's it been?" Phil stands and they both hold out hands and pull each other in for a hug.

"I'm alright, mate, how's yourself going?"

"Oh, great, summer was a blast." The brown haired boy turned to face you and he crouched down in front of you with a smug look. "And how are you, Miss Y/N?"

"As fine as a parking ticket," you give off a sarcastic smile as Dan bit his bottom lip. His eyes moved slowly up and down from your shoes to your eyes again.

"Oh, I can see. Fine is written all over you."

"Well, I'm glad you know how to read."

Dan stood himself up to a position where he was standing and walking in between you and Phil, meeting with his friends into the school. He lifted a peace sign with his fingers before disappearing behind the double doors as you replied with a middle finger.

"Well, he's doing good," Phil smiled as he sat back down beside you.

"He's always doing good." You roll your eyes at the thought of him. "Why are you still friends with him?"

"He's always been nice to me."

You scoff, "that's hard to believe."

"Give him a chance, Y/N. He's been through-"

"Many girls, I know. And his grades are terrible. He's so smart and he can do anything with his life-"