Ch. 12 - We Don't Have Chemistry

"Alright, children, role call," Mr. Dapper announces.

Dan leans in beside you and whispers. "Is it just me or does he sound more and more disgusting everyday?" You roll your eyes and nod, agreeing with him.

Shit. You think to yourself. You remembered to ask if he was free this weekend to go to the carnival. You're gonna sound desperate and you know it.

"Hey, Dan, Phil wanted to-"

"Daniel," the teacher calls aloud, making you stutter.

"Present!" He yells back.

"We- uh, wanted to know if you could-"

"Y/N!" The teacher disrupts you again.

"Fuck," you whisper quite loudly, realizing the teacher could have heard you. "Shit," you say, again. "Uh, Here! Fuck!"

The whole class surprised, you cover your mouth with your fist, breathing slowly. You raise your hand and look towards the teacher. "May I be excused?"

"Yeah, go ahead," he nods. You grab your bag and escape the room for the class across; Phil's class.

Noticing the window outside the door, you peak through it and get Phil's attention. After he notices you, you motion him to come out. He looks away and raises his hand. Obviously he was asking to be excused, though you didn't know what the 'arms around stomach' was about. He then got up from his seat and grabbed his backpack and left the room to get to you.

"Wassup," he asks.

"I can't do it."

"What," he laughs.

"I can't do it! I can't ask him to go with us," you exclaim.

"How hard is it to ask someone to go to the carnival with us?"

"I just cussed out in front of the whole class, Phil. I stuttered like crazy and I- I just can't!"

Phil leans on the wall, looking in your direction.

"I was getting interrupted too," you say quietly.

Phil smirks at you and winks. "What," you ask. "Phil, you're scaring me."

"You like Dan, don't you?"

Pushing Phil's shoulder, you deny it, "fuck that!" You whisper, trying not to get caught outside a classroom swearing. "Look, I'll ask him during drama. It's better 'cuz you'll be there!"

Phil glares at you, tilting his head. "We have math all together before drama. Why don't you ask then?"

"So I have more time to prepare, damn! Give me some space," you say quickly.

After the bell rings, kids start pouring out of their classes for first period. "Come on, Y/N. Let's go to Science and find out the chemistry between you and Dani-boy," Phil says, starting to walk.

You tilt your head in confusion, "we don't take chemistry, Phil."

-

Being in math class, Phil sits up ahead in class while you sit in the back with Daniel. He turns around, motioning you to go on and ask. You roll your eyes at him and shake your head no.

As Dan notices you and Phil, he laughs a bit. "Stop mentally speaking to Phil and help me with this problem."

"Okay, sorry," you chuckle and rub the back of your head. He shakes his and looks down at his paper, continuing to read.

"Okay, what about this," Dan asks scooting closer to you. "They're both negatives so you have to cancel them out, right?"

You looking down at his paper, you answer him. "Yeah, I guess you can say that. You know that this is all review, right," you ask, looking up at him, eyes widening from how close you two are.

"Yeah, but it's been a while so," Dan mumbles, looking into your eyes.

I don't understand what's so great about him, it's not like he has striking blue eyes like Phil does but... I mean I don't think we have chemistry

"Y/N," your math teacher calls you, you quickly turn to her, frighten by the sudden noise. "Number 8?"

"Oh... B. Wrong. They forgot to cancel out the negatives."

-

"Look, Phil, I'm going to do it right now," you promise him at the cafeteria. It's now drama class and it's the last practice until tomorrow morning; The Play.

It's not even that intense, it's only intense for you right now because you need to do one simple task for Phil and yourself.

Ask Dan to go to the carnival with the two of you.

You take Phil's wrist and walk towards Daniel. "Dan, we've noticed you've been acting saddened or... depressed... lately as Phil and I would like to know if you wanted to go to the fair with us this weekend."

He slightly tilts his head to the side, looking puzzled. Oh, God.

"Umm... I guess," he laughs. "It's just that... I was planning on asking Phil if he'd be interested on coming with me to go there. Considering that all my other friends are douche bags who only care about their social view." He does that cheeky grin of his.

"Huh," Phil laughs. "That's crazy because this was my idea to ask."

"Well, great minds think alike, aye?" Dan elbows his arm. "I don't know what that was, sorry." He laughs at himself. "I was actually hoping Phil would bring you if he agreed, babe" he winked.

"Please don't call me that," you note him again.

"Well, come on. We're the first act to go so, let's do some business," Dan sighs, walking towards the stage.

"See? That wasn't so bad," Phil says, elbowing you in the arm.

"Shut up, he was gonna ask you anyways," you roll your eyes.

"You're mean, Y/N. And you roll your eyes a lot," he laughs. "Keep doing it and they'll get stuck like that."