Chapter 3.5

Dedicated to Godilver.

Part 5 of 5

The rest of the night Nidhi watched as dancers and singers entertained the people in the dining hall and she knew that her life was changing. She wasn’t so scared of the unknown anymore. Nidhi knew that with Arii and Ruh by her side she would make it through this.

Nidhi enjoyed the delicious food and drink. The food was traditional and everything was so tasty and full of flavor. She knew that the women who had cooked these meals had done the best that they could. After she was done eating she turned to Arii and saw that Arii too had enjoyed every bite.

“These ladies can cook. I don’t think I have ever had anything so good since before I came here.” Nidhi said as she laughed.

“I know, the food is really good here and everything you ate here in the village was produced here. They don’t go to a market of a shop to buy their food. They raise their own animals and plant their own fruits and vegetables. The silk of the clothes you are wearing was also produced here.” Arii looked at the villagers and after seeing every face she looked at Nidhi. “The people here are the good ones, they live a clean life and they work for what they want and need.”

Nidhi looked at the many men and women sitting and standing and then at the little children who had gathered at the entrance. “Are they not allowed to join in the festivities?”

Arii looked to the children. “They had their own party earlier and they are on their way to bed now.” Arii smiled. “You like children don’t you?”

“Yes they are so pure and innocent and when I look at them and they smile at me, it makes me feel like we have a chance to do something magical.” Nidhi said with so much love and admiration.

“Yes the children are after all the future.” Arii said.

A minute later two women walked over to the children and they all left.

Another hour later the tables were cleared of all the food and empty dishes and Nidhi knew that the celebrations were coming to an end. Arii walked with her to her room and bid her goodnight. Once Nidhi was tucked in she fell asleep and dreamt of Shakuntala and Dushyant.