Chapter 4.2

Dedicated to My_Little_Secret.

Part 2 of 6

As they drove away Nidhi looked back at the group of people disappearing as Ruh drove away from them. They were special to her and she didn’t know it until she had to leave them. Nidhi lifted the rug as far as she could and looked at the beautiful piece of work. They had made this for her and she felt so honored.

The rug was a dark red and in shades of green, blue and gold was a picture of a girl and in Indian lettering the word ‘Wealth’. Nidhi cried as she looked at it again and again. Nidhi rolled up the rug again and bound it with the golden cord just like they had bound it before. The sun was rising and Nidhi hoped that one day she could come back to the village and maybe make it her home.

The drive had been mostly quiet. Arii didn’t say much and Ruh like usual didn’t say anything. Nidhi sat there thinking about everything she had found out about what was going on. Nidhi knew that she was on her way to a school and that she had to fulfill her destiny. She knew that she would have to face challenges and that it would determine what kind of person she would be when she had completed this road that she was on.

Nidhi thought about what she had wished for all the years that she was growing up. She wanted to be happy. She wanted to do good so her parents would be proud of her. She wanted to marry a good man and have children whom she could love and who would love her, because after all the only love that most people in her culture found was the ones between parent and child.

She knew that an arranged marriage was her future but her parents never said who he was or even that she had one and that scared Nidhi for so long, maybe they never planned a marriage for her and that could only mean a one of two things, she wasn’t worth it and no one wanted her or two they had decided she should fall in love on her own and find a husband for herself. Nidhi hoped for the second but she had a feeling it was the first reason. Maybe that had changed now, maybe a marriage was never in her destiny and the gods had other plans. Nidhi was excited to find out what that was.

The road was endless and Nidhi got tired so she decided to take a nap. She fell asleep in seconds and she dreamed she was on the carpet high up in the sky and strong arms were wrapped around her.