Chapter 7.7

A little action in this chapter and a surprise from Ruh. 

Part 7 of 7

Nidhi, the creature, the tiger and Ruh stood in the shape of an arrow, the creature in the middle in the far front, Ruh in the middle right in the back and Nidhi and the tiger closest to Ruh flanking him on either side.  If the tiger gave a step closer to the creature so did Nidhi and if they moved closer the creature moved closer. 

Nidhi looked from the creature to the tiger and never took her eyes of them.  She didn’t dare look back to Ruh because then she could miss an attack from the creature and she could put the tiger in danger.  Nidhi knew it was now or never and in slow motion saw as the creature lunged for the tiger.  She jumped in front of the tiger and when the creature saw her he jumped away from her. 

Nidhi started to run and she could hear the creature following.  She ran through the woods as fast as she could with only the moonlight as a guide and helping her not to trip.  She saw the tiger chasing the creature while the creature chased her.  Nidhi felt the wind in her hair and the adrenaline flowing through her veins. 

She ran swerving from left to right just in case the creature planned to jump at her.  She tripped once or twice but got up quick enough.  Nidhi didn’t know where she got the courage from but she welcomed it with open arms. 

She saw a big tree with a hole in and ran towards it.  She climbed into the hole and a minute later the creature tried to claw her out of the hole but he couldn’t reach her.  Nidhi squeezed herself as far back into the hole as possible.  The creature retreated and Nidhi could see the tiger and the creature moving in a circle not taking their eyes off of each other.  The creature lunched at the tiger but missed. 

Nidhi felt sick from the worry she felt for the tiger.  She had to do something but what?  Nidhi got out of the hole and ran towards the creature giving the tiger a chance to rest.  He didn’t need to rest but Nidhi didn’t know that.  She stood in front of the creature challenging him.  She got his full attention and the tiger knew that now was his chance.  He jumped on the creature and with his fangs bit into the creatures shoulder. 

The creature shook vigorously and the tiger was flung into the air and against a tree.  The creature ran from Nidhi and the tiger into the woods and Nidhi hoped that he wouldn’t come back.  She ran to where the tiger was lying and sat down next to him.  He lifted his head and rested it against her heart and Nidhi was relieved.

Nidhi followed the tiger back to where they were camping and found Ruh there waiting for them.  He walked to Nidhi and just stared at her for a few minutes.  He placed his hand on her shoulder and for the first time spoke.  His voice was deep and Nidhi didn’t expect that.

“Nidhi, you are the bravest person I have ever met.  No wonder tigers befriend you.  You are in danger and we need to get you to the school as soon as possible.  I am so grateful that your tiger friend was here otherwise I didn’t know what would have happened.”  He looked at the tiger that was standing next to Nidhi.  “Thank you for being here and saving Nidhi.”

The tiger just bowed his head and pushed Nidhi towards her place by the fire.  She looked at Ruh and back to the tiger.  “You want me to go back to bed?”  The tiger nodded and Nidhi once again lay down next to the fire and with the tiger lying close to her, Nidhi fell asleep again.