Chapter 5.2

Dedicated to AkankshaSharma3.

Part 2 of 5

Arii and Nidhi stood in the door of the old English mansion. Arii told Nidhi that it belonged to a rich English farmer when the English first came in India. When the farmer and his family moved back to England they gave the house to the Indian government and the government sold it to the current family. The Kapoor family had fixed the place up and was now serving as a halfway stop for travellers.

Nidhi looked around and couldn’t believe how beautiful the place was. The colonial architecture with its arches, columns and three stories was magnificent. It was now decorated in blue and orange details around the arches of the doors and windows. Nidhi looked at the perfect gardens. The owners had worked very hard to keep the place neat and beautiful even though they didn’t get many travellers.

“Please follow me to your rooms.” A young man dressed in a light grey salwar outfit said.

Nidhi and Arii followed him up the stairs and listened as he explained where everything was and what time dinner would be served. Nidhi didn’t hear half of what he said because she was too busy admiring the décor and the beautiful art pieces that was in the house.

“Nidhi, this is your room and mine is right here next to yours. Where are your thoughts? You didn’t even listen to a word I was saying or the young man that was showing us to our rooms.” Arii scolded. She looked at Nidhi waiting for an answer.

“Why was he allowed to speak to me?” Nidhi asked as she realised that the young man had spoken in her presence.

“This family is special and the rules don’t apply to them.” Arii said and Nidhi knew she was still waiting for an answer.

“I have been admiring the décor and art. I am sorry that I didn’t listen. Please forgive me Arii?” Nidhi smiled. When Arii smiled back Nidhi opened the door to her room and looked at it in awe. “Arii, this is so beautiful.” When Nidhi didn’t get a reply from Arii she turned back to the door and saw that she was alone.

She saw Ruh and two more men coming up the stairs with their bags and stood to the side so they could bring her bags in. The men placed her things next to her bed and left her room. Nidhi got clean clothes out and everything she would need for a bath and went to the en suite. Once again Nidhi was speechless as she tried to describe the beauty of the place. She ran a bath and soaked for what felt like hours but when she got out the water wasn’t much colder than when she got in. She dried and changed into the light blue saree.