Chapter 36 | Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you

Previously on When The Devil Falls -
With a gentle hand on Draco's shoulder, Marvolo guided him through the chamber, pointing out various points of interest and sharing tidbits of history that left Draco hanging on his every word. As they wandered through the labyrinthine corridors, Draco's thirst for knowledge seemed insatiable, his mind alight with the possibilities that lay within the chamber's walls.

Suddenly, realization dawned on Draco, and he turned to Marvolo with a furrowed brow. "Wait, we left Snape's body upstairs," he said, his voice tinged with concern.

Marvolo's expression softened with understanding as he took in Draco's troubled expression. "You don't have to go back up there, Draco," he said, his voice gentle. "I can take care of it."

But Draco shook his head, determination gleaming in his eyes. "No, I want to help," he insisted, his voice resolute. "That is the only way I'll let go of this otherwise I won't be able to move on."

Marvolo's heart swelled with pride at Draco's strength, and he nodded in agreement. "Very well," he said. Draco and Marvolo then made their way back up to Snape's quarters. The atmosphere was heavy with the weight of what had transpired, but Draco's determination remained steadfast.

As they entered the room, Draco flinched as his gaze fell upon Snape's still form on the floor. He closed his eyes shut trying to make the memories of this morning go away.

Wordlessly, Draco and Marvolo worked together to carefully lift Snape's body, wrapping it in a cloak. They apparated to the forests outside the Malfoy Manor.

The Dark Lord dug a grave with wandless magic and levitated Snape's body into it before covering it with dirt again. Draco stared at it, knowing that Snape was buried inside layers of dirt and would never get near him again brought closure.

With a final glance at Snape's grave, Draco turned to Marvolo. "Thank you," he said softly. "For everything."

Marvolo's gaze softened as he reached out to clasp Draco's hand in his own. "You don't have to thank me, Draco," he replied, his voice warm with affection.

They then, apparated back to Hogwarts and the grandeur of the castle greeted them with its imposing but homely presence. Draco's heart raced with a mix of relief and apprehension as he prepared to face his friends.

Upon their arrival, Draco found himself surrounded by familiar faces. Blaise, Harry, and Theo were there, each expressing their concern and curiosity. Theo, being a Death Eater, immediately bowed upon seeing the Dark Lord, a gesture of respect that occurred subconsciously at this point.

"Where have you been? We haven't seen you the whole day! You didn't even tell me you were going somewhere! Do you realize how worried we were?" said Harry, going onto a rant about how irresponsible it was of Draco to not inform them beforehand if he had plans for the day that would involve him disappearing off the face of the Earth.

Sirius and Remus, who had entered the room as well to talk to Harry, sensed the tension as their expressions turned into a mix of confusion and concern.

Sensing the need for clarity, Draco gestured for everyone to take a seat. Draco himself settled onto a loveseat with the Dark Lord who pulled him onto his lap with an air of possessiveness that went unchallenged.