Chapter 51: Summer's Day at School

As Summer arrived at school, she joined her friend Tia for breakfast before heading to their side of the breezeway. There, they encountered Ms. Gleason, Kel, and some 2nd graders who had been split into classes because their teacher was absent, leaving them teacher-less. Summer suspected a boy in her class was responsible for the broken door knobs, but she couldn't recall who. Fortunately, Ms. Pooler offered her classroom to the 5th graders until the doors were fixed, eliciting cheers from the students.

During PE, the energy skyrocketed with Ms. Gleason and Ms. Pooler absent, and Coach Q allowing them to let loose. The basketball coach's birthday brought even more excitement as students crowded around him for hugs, much to Coach Q's dismay. When news spread that the doors were fixed, including the broken knobs, the 5th graders were annoyed, but they quickly composed themselves as the teachers returned.

Later, as the day wound down, Summer found herself in her Minnie's car alongside her sisters, Skye and Ivy. Minnie brought up the topic of Summer running for Ms. 6th grade, prompting Summer to express her dilemma in choosing an escort. Minnie encouraged her to run and deal with it next year, insisting she pick up a packet to try out. Unable to refuse her Minnie's persistence, Summer retrieved the packet, got it signed by her mom, and even secured a letter of recommendation from Ms. Gleason, officially entering the running for Ms. 6th grade.