Chapter 59: Disrupted Plans and Unwelcome Distractions

Saturday morning arrived with promises of fun plans, but Summer's expectations soon clashed with reality. As she woke up, the house felt unusually empty, except for SaMya and her dad. Curious giggles from outside drew Summer's attention, leading her to find her mom in the car, engaged in a phone call, while Skye and Ivy played nearby.Summer joined her mom in the front seat, questioning the unexpected car scene. Her mom explained she had a busy day ahead, needing to create flyers. Although Summer agreed to tag along, her excitement waned as they waited for her dad to join them.Meanwhile, Carsyn messaged Summer, requesting to push back their jumping plans to 3:30. Summer agreed but was soon bombarded with further delays. They headed to Office Depot, where Summer's discontent simmered beneath the surface, exacerbated by the uninspiring flyer design.Back in the car, frustration gnawed at Summer as she received more time change requests from Carsyn. Unable to contain her irritation, Summer declined further rescheduling attempts. Disheartened, she conveyed her decision to her parents, feeling their disappointment in her response.As they made stops at the gas station and for food, tension brewed between Summer's parents, adding to the already fraught atmosphere. Caught in the midst of their discord, Summer's patience wore thin. When she noticed nearby children witnessing the scene, her pent-up frustration boiled over, leading to a silent act of defiance.After all that, as Summer ate her food, her fake friend Sariyah texted. Despite her reservations about Sariyah's messy behavior, Summer checked the text anyway. Sariyah asked if Summer actually wanted to win Ms. 6th grade. Summer responded honestly, expressing her lack of interest and providing detailed reasons why.Later, Sariyah added Summer to a group call with Jayci, the girl she was running against, and texted Summer to join. Suspicious of Sariyah's intentions, Summer secretly accused her of orchestrating the call to show Jayci her response. However, upon joining the call, the texts went unmentioned.Jayci then revealed her campaign strategy—a paper vending machine with her face on it, adorned with the school colors. Summer, feeling a surge of determination, secretly messaged her mom, affirming her belief in victory. In response, her mom delivered a lengthy lecture on campaigning and instilled confidence in Summer's chances of winning.After conversing with Sariyah and Jayci, Summer ended her day, her thoughts swirling with anticipation and anxiety. As she drifted off to sleep, the realization dawned on her that tomorrow marked the last day of spring break. In a mix of excitement and apprehension, Summer screamed into her pillow, contemplating ways to make the day special and memorable.