Chapter 64: Summer's Experience Fifth Grade Scholars Ceremony

It was Saturday, the day of the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated Mu Zeta Chapter Fifth Grade Scholars Ceremony, and Summer was getting ready to attend as a fifth-grade scholar. She dressed up and went with her family to the library where the ceremony would take place. Summer's mom, dad, and sister Skye all went together.

Upon entering the room, Summer saw many people and the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated Mu Zeta Chapter. She didn't quite understand why she was here, especially since her family leaned towards other sororities, but she came along anyway. A lady directed her to her seat while her family found seats in the back.

During the ceremony, a boy was called up to recite a poem, and Summer's heart dropped when she realized it was Kel. She felt frozen for the rest of the ceremony, especially when she was called up to claim her medal and folder. Summer forced a smile as she walked up, feeling awkward under the gaze of Ms. Circle's camera.

After receiving her medal, they wanted a group picture, and Summer felt confused by the whole ordeal. She was told to scoot closer to a random boy, and although she didn't understand why, she complied. The ceremony ended, and they were given plates of food, which Summer didn't particularly like.

Feeling embarrassed and overwhelmed, Summer ran to the car, struggling in her heels and old red dress. She texted her friend Carsyn about the experience, sharing photos and venting about what happened. Carsyn tried to comfort her and told her to take a breath.

Back home, Summer's parents started another fight, and Summer took charge, telling her sisters to go outside and wait until it died down. When their mom abruptly left in the car, leaving them all puzzled, Summer comforted her younger sister Skye and took on the responsibility of looking after her for the night.

As she took care of her sister and dealt with a headache, Summer went outside to clear her mind. When her mom returned, Summer couldn't help but break down in tears and hug her tightly, feeling a mixture of relief and exhaustion wash over her as they walked back inside together. She couldn't shake off the strange feeling from the event, especially the part where her mom talked to Kel's mom, and she was made to take a picture with Kel. It all felt surreal and uncomfortable, but she tried to push those thoughts aside for the moment.