Thirteen

"Let your hair down, have one more round.
Drink 'til you believe it.
Sloppy kisses, dirty wishes. Baby, this is living.
Roller-coaster, up and down in random motion.
Oh, come in closer, ditch your problems.
Better days are coming."

Song: We Own The Night — Dance Gavin Dance

++++++

𝓙𝓾𝓵𝔂 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

𝓙𝓾𝓵𝔂 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

Six-thirty couldn't come fast enough. Harry was waiting for Andie outside of the store by the picnic table, smoking as per usual. He squashed out his cigarette when he saw her and walked toward her.

"Hey," he greeted, his Midland Park Foods smock bunched up in his hand.

"Hi," she said bashfully as they fell into step with each other, walking to her father's car.

"So, your dad just lets you drive around in his Mercedes-Benz?" Harry asked, getting in the passenger seat of the immaculate vehicle.

"Yeah. I think it was his previous ex-wife's car," Andie told him.

"It's a beauty," Harry said, running his hand across the leather interior.

"It's okay," Andie said, shrugging her shoulders. She wasn't much of a car person.

"Oh, don't tell me you're a rich snob too. Someone who doesn't appreciate nice things because they grew up with money and think nothing of dropping 100 G's on a car," Harry said, looking at her through judgmental eyes.

"What? No," Andie scoffed, sending him an incredulous look.

"Look at your dad's house. Look at this car," Harry pointed out in an accusatory tone.

"I was not raised with money, Harry. I grew up in a three bedroom house in Henderson, Nevada. My mom drove a Chevy Malibu during my childhood. I don't even have a car. I literally ride the bus to school," Andie scoffed, setting him straight. Harry eyed her suspiciously for a moment before he finally nodded his head.

"Sorry. I'm just used to hanging around people who wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills," he said quietly.

"Well, I'm not one of those people. Whatever money my mom got from my dad for child support, she used to pay bills. And whatever was left over would go into a trust for me that I can't touch until I'm twenty-five, unless I use it for college. That's the only stipulation. I can't just, like, go to the bank and withdraw the money," Andie explained.

She didn't know why she felt the need to explain though. Maybe because she cared what he thought of her. Maybe a little too much.

He nodded his head before looking out the windshield.

"Now if you're done snapping at me, can we go?" Andie asked, finally starting up the car.

"I wasn't snapping," Harry countered.