Sixty-Four

"I'm not ready for the ending.
The heart and time that I've invested.
I've got two worlds and they're pulling me apart.
I've gotta believe that the best is on the horizon waiting.
Yet it seems like I'm just so far away from the start.

Song: Thank You & Goodbye — Boys of Fall

++++++

𝓢𝓮𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓫𝓮𝓻 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

𝓢𝓮𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓫𝓮𝓻 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

Duke immediately greeted the two of them, jumping up excitedly at Andie.

"Duke! Down!" Her father shouted angrily.

"You don't have to be so mean to him. He's just happy to see us," Andie snapped at her father.

"He shouldn't be jumping. I spent hundreds of dollars on obedience classes," her father grumbled, causing Andie to roll her eyes, knowing Duke was one of the most well-behaved dogs she'd ever been around.

"So what do you want to talk to me about?" She asked with a sigh, knowing full-well it had everything to do with the motorcycle he just saw her on.

"What exactly was going through your head when you got on the back of that motorcycle? How stupid, Andria," Her father asked condescendingly, causing Andie to roll her eyes.

"It's not that big of a deal," she told him.

"It would be a pretty big deal if you were to become just another statistic dead on the pavement," he snapped.

"Oh my god. Dramatic much?" She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"You weren't even wearing a helmet, Andria!" He pointed out, raising his voice.

"We just went around the block," she explained.

"I don't care! You're my responsibility!"

"Would it matter if I wasn't your responsibility?" She shot at him, narrowing her eyes.

"Of course it would!" He snapped, causing her to scoff.

"I don't know where you got the idea in your head that I don't care about you, Andria," he added.

"Um, seventeen years of absentee-parenthood gave me a pretty good idea of how you feel about me," she shot back.

"What was I supposed to do, Andria? Your mother moved you nearly three-thousand miles away!"

"Perfect excuse," she grumbled.

"I'm sorry, Andria. I'm sorry I wasn't there the way you wanted or needed me to be. I wish I was able to be there, believe me. I'm sorry I missed out on so much. I'm sorry that you missed out on growing up with a father. But here I am. I'm the parent you chose for the time being and I'm going to look out for you in the way I see fit. And I don't want you to be riding on the back of some delinquent's motorcycle!"