Fifty-Two

"Nights in slow motion when you got the best of me.
You hate yourself so you take out the rest on me.
You got away with the crime while the knife's in my back.
So how do you sleep? You're watching me bleed.
But you'll always be a rollercoaster
Spinning me around, up and down 'til we're over."

Song: Rollercoaster — Charlotte Sands

++++++

𝓐𝓾𝓰𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

𝓐𝓾𝓰𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟏

"Um. Mom?" Andie asked, looking at her through the screen of her phone on one of their regular FaceTime calls.

"Yes, daughter," she replied with a smile.

"Can I... can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure, honey. Of course you can," her mom said, looking a bit concerned.

Andie looked down as she tugged at a string that was hanging off her cut-off jean shorts. She was so nervous.

"Andie?" Her mom asked and she looked up at her phone again.

"What is it? Are you okay?" She asked, looking concerned.

"I'm... yeah. I'm okay. It's nothing like that. I'm really okay," she said, trying to squash her mother's worried thoughts about her well-being.

"Then what is it?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Um... I was just... I kinda wondered..." Andie stammered.

"Jeez, Andria. What could be this hard to say?" Her mom chuckled, causing Andie to sigh.

"I want to stay in New Jersey for my senior year," Andie blurted out a moment later.

"Oh," her mom said immediately, looking completely taken aback.

"I miss you so much. I do. I just feel like... I feel like I'm not done here, you know?" Andie yammered, trying to get out an explanation as fast as she could.

"You want to stay because of Harry?" Her mom asked, smiling softly at her.

"I mean, yeah. And other stuff. I've made a lot of friends here," Andie told her. Her mom took a deep breath and let it out hard.

"I-I... I think I love him, Mom," Andie confessed, her voice cracking with emotion as she felt the tears sting in the back of her eyes.

"Oh, Andie," she cooed.

"Things are going so good. Everything is so good with him. And he... he asked if I ever thought about staying in New Jersey for school and... and I never actually thought about it. I joked that me and my father would probably kill each other..."