009. That's the thing, Phillip, I'm not your girl

Series one - episode 3
We're Getting Married

(Lies and secrets)

••

KODI BALL HAD BEEN MAINTAINING DISTANCE FROM PHILLIP GALLAGHER

KODI BALL HAD BEEN MAINTAINING DISTANCE FROM PHILLIP GALLAGHER...  The lingering affair with Malakai McGuire weighed heavily on her mind, casting a shadow over her interactions with Lip. Despite their previous intimacy, Lip's newfound relationship with Karen had caused Kodi to question the relevance of her own feelings. Surely, Lip wouldn't be affected if she pursued someone else?

However, Philip Gallagher found himself growing weary of Kodi's silent treatment. Whether at school or during their usual visits, her absence had created a void he couldn't ignore. Kodi's avoidance hurt him, especially considering his unwavering care for her.

In her bedroom, clad only in a t-shirt, Kodi danced to the rhythmic beats of Jamelia's "Superstar," oblivious to her uncle Kevin's presence. Amusement spread across Kevin's face as he approached her, gently taking her hand and twirling her around.

"Where's Veronica?" he inquired. He laughs walking to her feel glancing at the CD cover, selecting the next track before replying, "Fiona's, doing laundry I think."

Kevin frowned slightly. "She carried a basket out and said she was heading over to Fiona's." Watching her uncle walk out annoyed...  Laughing at his dramatic outburst of an exit.. As track 12, "Jump," by Girls Aloud, began to play, she received a text message from Malakai, informing her of his arrival downstairs. A smile illuminated her face as she rushed to open the door.

"Did anyone see you?" she asked anxiously. "I made sure your boyfriend didn't," Malakai replied, a hint of amusement in his tone.

Kodi rolled her eyes at his playful demeanor and pulled him inside, their lips meeting in a passionate kiss. Malakai lifted her onto the kitchen counter and whispered sweet nothings in her ear, eliciting the angelic sounds he had grown to adore. Abruptly, a knock at the door interrupted their intimate moment.

"Who is it?" Kodi questioned.

"It's Lip, open up," came the impatient response.

Kodi's heart sank. Lip couldn't be here now; he would surely notice Malakai's presence. "Go upstairs to my bedroom and don't make a sound," she whispered to Malakai. "I don't care, Kodi," Malakai protested.

"Is there someone in there with you, Kodi? Open the damn door!" Lip's voice grew louder, his anger rising.

Fear gnawed at Kodi as she checked the surrounding area before unlocking the door. "Hey," she greeted casually, attempting to conceal her disheveled appearance and rapid breathing. "What brings you here?" she asked as Lip barged into the kitchen, searching for any signs of intrusion. He continued his search through the living room and then ascended the stairs directly to her bedroom.

"Phillip, what are you doing?" Kodi protested nervously. "You tell me," Lip retorted. "I heard a voice... it's not Veronica's, she's at mine, and Kev's at work" He checked under her bed and opened her wardrobe, leaving Kodi equally puzzled about Malakai's whereabouts. "Is this why you've been distant, because you're screwing someone else?" Lip's voice was heavy with accusation.

"No. What the fuck" Kodi denied, pushing him towards the door. "Let's go.. we have school" "Don't feel like going, can we skip?" Lip proposed.

"Can't afford to miss anymore... I'm failing, you know?" Kodi replied, slipping into her skirt..

"What do you mean you're failing?" Lip asked, his expression a mixture of concern and disbelief.

"Well, my usual tutor has been occupied lately," she explained.

Lip rolled his eyes playfully. "If you needed help, Kods, you could've just asked."

"I'll keep that in mind... Now come on," Kodi urged, intertwining her fingers with his. Lip smiled subconsciously as he closed the door behind them. Upstairs, Malakai emerged from the sanctuary of Veronica and Kevin's bedroom, a chuckle escaping his lips.

.

••

OUTSIDE, LIP' AND KODI WALKED SIDE BY SIDE... "You'd tell me right, if there was someone else?" Lip inquired. Kodi met his gaze. "Would you be angry if there was?"

"Who is he?" Lip demanded, his voice laced with venom.

"You're with Karen, be with Karen... shouldn't matter who I'm with," Kodi replied, pushing him away and starting to walk off.

"It does matter—" "It doesn't, Lip."

"Yes, it does, Kodi, it matters to me," Lip insisted. "Why?" Kodi challenged, her voice trembling slightly.

"Because... because -- i-i," Lip stumbled, searching for the words that seemed to elude him. Why couldn't he simply utter those eight letters? "Because you're my girl, my best friend, Kodi, that's why."

"That's the thing, Phillip, I'm not your girl," Kodi said softly before walking away, leaving Lip alone with his torment. Everyday those words 'not your girl' was really starting to piss him off.. The only thing that was on Phillip Gallagher's mind was....

Who was he? He needed to know!
Who was the guy Kodi Ball is
sleeping with?