Parasomnia

I park my Jeep outside the animal clinic and try calling Liam one more time before walking inside. I have to step to the side while a young girl comes out with her dog. I go to the back where Deaton and Scott are. Deaton is examining the talons from the weird man of last night. "Find anything? I ask.

Scott glances at me and rubs under my eyes. I looked in the mirror this morning and noticed I have small bags under them. I was up half the night thinking about Liam. The kiss between me and Theo left him crushed. Now he's ignoring my phone calls and text messages. I don't blame him. School is going to be more awkward than ever. "I think so," Deaton replies. "Are you sure this guy was a werewolf? As far as I can tell, these claws are talons."

"I kind of figured that already," I say, picking one up.

"In fact, the talons of a harpy eagle, one of the largest known birds of prey."

"How can a werewolf get talons?" Scott asks.

"Personally, I'm more interested in how these were able to absorb your power. The only one who should be able to do that is a Beta of your making."

They both glance at me. "What?" I ask. I narrow my eyes and look down at the talon. "Someone like Liam."

"Exactly."

Scott and I exchange looks then look back to Deaton. "What if we let someone into our pack?" Scott asks.

"Like another Beta," I add.

"I would normally say no," Deaton replies. "But I'm starting to think that the supernatural world rules are not as rigid as I once thought. Especially now."

When he says this, he looks directly at me. I shake my head. "I think they were at some point but there's someone out there. I think that someone is trying to change those rules and they started with me."

"Maybe you can see something to help us."

I look between the two and sigh. I flick out my claws and squeeze on the talon. It takes a couple seconds before I get anything:

I see Parrish walking through the woods naked and carrying a dead girl. His eyes are glowing and he looks like he's on a very important mission. Then I see the Nemeton, or what's left of it. Parrish places down the body and everything catches fire. He just stands there as it burns along with him. I then see that there are hundreds of other bodies around the Nemeton. The fire rolls and hits me.

I snap back out and I cough as if I was really there. I look at my hands and they've suddenly become covered in ash as well as my arms. I look at Scott and Deaton. They have the most concerned look that I have ever seen. "What?"

"Your eyes..." Scott says. "They changed different colors."

"What colors?"

"Red, then blue, then yellow, then jade green like Kate, amber like Kira and then the color of Parrish's eyes sometimes."

"What does that mean?" I look to Deaton for answers. "Is that bad?"

"I don't know," he replies with a huff. "It could mean a number of things. What exactly did you see?"

I walk across the room to wash my hands and arms. "It's complicated because I saw nothing that had to do with that man or talons. But, based on what I saw..." I turn and lean against the counter. "There's something coming, something beyond our control and management."

"What do we do?" Scott asks.

"The only thing we can really do is wait. I'll let you know if I see anything else."

I drive to school five minutes after Scott. I want to be on my own for the ride to get my thoughts together. For my first day of senior year, I decided to keep things casual. A white shirt, red and black plaid flannel shirt, black jeans and black sneakers. I left my hair out the same way it was last night. I decided to wear the cure around my neck, to keep it close. I didn't want the same two strap book bag as last year so I got an over-the-shoulder type bag. I can carry my laptop in an easier way.