Magic Bullet

I'm standing on a roof as tall as I need it to be. I'm able to see a majority of the town. My hearing expands out to inside homes. Kids are being put to rest, teens up in the night and some parents coming in late from work, including my own mother.

I'm about to jump down when a strong scent hits my nose. I search around for the source. I use my werewolf eyes to scan better in the dark. I see something speed past. I try to follow it with my eyes but it disappears too quickly.

Suddenly, a gun goes off. I stumble off the building but land on my feet. I go running but another shot goes off and this time I feel it hit me this time. It harshly grazes a little above my elbow but goes into a wall. I look down to see it has torn through my hoodie, shirt and deep into my skin. Blue smoke rises from it before I feel the pain.

Whoever hit me has to be still nearby. I run home and rush through my window. Scott is fast asleep with papers all over the floor and Stiles is asleep over half of them. I don't want to wake up either of them so I sneak off to the guest room. Instead of going straight to bed, I jump in the shower. It helps me get my thoughts together.

I walk leisurely to the shower, steam filling the room as I cut the shower on. The water pours down, it drips by my side, as my mind fades into dullness and everything is a foggy illusion. The sensation of the steamy water calms me; it takes my mind off things. All the things I honestly shouldn't worry about.

It's the water. My mind swirls, and it's like I'm standing under an everlasting waterfall. Ever so beautiful, but it can never last. I know that now. After my shower is finished, I take a look at my arm in the mirror. It looks much worse than I thought. There are black veins beginning to run along my arm. The wound is still bleeding but mostly looks burned.

I carefully wrap it from my bicep to my forearm. When I get in bed, I lie awake, reliving the moment over and over. The sound of that gun going off still rings in my head. It rings and will not stop. Whoever was shot might be in the news by tomorrow. The next day, I'm at locker texting my mom when Allison comes rushing up to me, frantic. "What are you doing?" she asks.

I awkwardly look up from my phone, glancing left to right. "Texting...at my locker..."

She closes my locker and pulls me down the hall by my bag. I have to make sure not to cry out in pain from my injured arm. She leads me to Lydia who's also at her locker. "My aunt is in town!"

"Kate?" I ask, rubbing my bandages. 

Lydia is completely confused. "What are you talking about?"

"My aunt, Kate, is finally coming to visit me."

This news brightens my day. I love being around Kate. She is always full of surprises. As I'm taking a book out my bag, Allison transitions into a conversation about Scott. "When I first moved here, I had a plan. Me and Scarlett both did. No boyfriends until college. I just move too much. But...then I met him, and... He was different. I...I don't know. I can't explain it."

"I can. It's your brain flooding with phenylethylamine," Lydia replies.

"What?" Allison and I say at the same time.

After school, Stiles and I settle on me going to his house today. In the parking lot, I catch up with Lucas by his car. At first, he tries ignoring me but I step in front of him, blocking the door. "Lucas, please. You've been ignoring me long enough."

He sighs and leans on his crutches. "Scarlett, why didn't you tell me about him?"

"He was an old fling in San Francisco. I didn't think it really mattered. I didn't even think he would follow me here."