Second Chance at First Line

I sit on the bench next to Stiles as Scott talks to him about Allison. "Did you apologize to Allison?"

"Yeah."

"Is she giving you a second chance or..." 

"Yeah." 

"Yeah! All right. So everything's good."

"No." 

"No?" 

"Remember? The hunters. Her dad is one of 'em."

"Her dad?" 

"Shot me."

"Allison's father?"

 "With a crossbow," I add. 

"Allison's father."

"Yes!" Scott and I reply in frustration together. "Her father!" 

"He didn't recognize you two, right?" 

I shrug my shoulders. "I think you're forgetting I lived with them for a bunch of years but it was dark so maybe he didn't."

"No," Scott replies. "N... No. I don't think so."

"Does she know about him?" 

"Oh, yeah. I don't know." Scott becomes more frantic. "What if she does? This is gonna kill me, man."

I snap my fingers. "Scott! Focus! Just focus on lacrosse."

Stiles stands up and hands him a lacrosse stick. "Okay, here, Scott. Take this. Take this, and focus on lacrosse for now, okay? That's all you gotta do, yeah?"

My brother nods. "Lacrosse." 

"Here we go!"

They join the other members of the lacrosse field. I climb up into the stands to watch from there. I sit in the middle and at the very end. The coach blows his whistle. I'm not looking up as I'm rummaging through my book bag but all I hear is him yelling.  

"Let's go! One on one from up top! Jackson! Take a long stick today. Atta boy. That's how you do it! Greenberg, take a lap. Let's go. Faster, Greenberg! Let's go. McCall, what are you waiting for? Let's go. Hey, McCall. Hey, McCall!"

I do finally look up to see Scott bent over with a very tight grip on his lacrosse stick. I hear Jackson tease him with, "You sure you still want to be the first line, McCall?"

The coach approaches my brother and begins talking to him a low voice. I think he's going to give him some inspiring words but he gets the exact opposite. "My grandmother can move faster than that. And she's dead. You think you can move faster than the lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?"

"Yes, coach."

"I can't hear you." 

"Yes, coach!"

"Then do it again." He blows his whistle again. "McCall's gonna do it again! Let's go!"

He does try again and, because he's so upset, he ends up dislocating Jackson's shoulder. Since it's him, I don't pay attention to it. I'm about to pull a book from my bag but a strong scent fills my nose immediately. The scent is familiar. It's...pine with a hint of ash. I huff and lean back. "Derek."

I glance over and see him standing on the side. "I see you are learning to use your senses."

"You need to stop appearing like this."

"Look who's talking."

"Touché. Why are you here? Don't you have trespassers to threaten?"

I hear him scoff. "Very funny. I'm here because I know your brother has no control over his transformation when he's playing on the field. Like now."