Galvanize

I finally get Derek alone at the loft. He pushes me up against the big window but prevents me from kissing him. He rubs his thumb over the bags under my eyes. "When was the last time you slept, Scarlett?" he asks.

I bite my lip and look away. He puts a firm grip on my chin and turns my face back to him. "I haven't had more than two hours a sleep after you left. I couldn't help but think you were dead."

He kisses me softly. "Scarlett, I love you and I made a promise to you. I planned to come back to you. I don't think I can really function without seeing you."

I smile. His words made me feel bubbly inside. I bury my face into his chest. "Derek, what if I'm not the innocent girl you think I am? Would you still love me?"

He runs his hand through my hair repeatedly. "Of course. You will always be my Scarlett McCall."

The next day at school, me and Scott pull up at school to see the twins parking their bikes. I place my helmet on my motorcycle's handle and straighten my black dress that looks like a top and a skirt. I also look down at my ankle boots, to make sure they are still clean. I slip on the leather jacket Derek gave to me last year and let my curly hair out.

The twins walk up to us but just stare. "Back at school?" Scott asks.

"No, just to talk," Aiden replies.

"That's kind of a change of pace for you guys," Stiles says coming up next to Scott. "Considering you're usually hurting, mainly killing."

"We need a pack. We need an Alpha," Ethan explains.

"Uh, absolutely not. That's hilarious though," Stiles says.

"You asked us for help and we helped," Aiden fires back.

"You beat their faces to a bloody pulp. That's not helping. In my opinion, that's actually counter productive."

"Why would we say yes?" Scott asks.

"We have strength. We're make you more powerful. There's no reason to say no."

"I can think of one," Isaac says, appearing next to me. "Like the two of you holding Derek's claws while Kali impaled Boyd."

Isaac makes a smart remark and Aiden bares his fangs with a growl. "You wanna try?"

Isaac steps forward but Scott grabs his arm and I step in front of him. "Scarlett, come on," Aiden pleas.

I stop and think. "Aiden, I...I can't. You're not the same guy I knew before. You helped kill my best friend and tried to kill us on more than one occasion. You did all those things because you were Alphas. Now, that you lost that status, you expect all those things to go away. They don't."

"Scarlett," Scott says.

"I'm sorry but they don't trust you and neither do I," I say.

We walk by them, me keeping a strong grip on Isaac's hand. We walk in to toilet paper being thrown around. One flies toward me but I catch it in my hand without hesitation. A group of boys holding more rolls look at me. "Hi, boys. If one of those rolls hit me, you won't be very happy," I say, strutting off.

As we're walking, Stiles puts an arm on both of our shoulders. "Good decisions. Good Alpha decisions."

"We hope so," I reply.

"Oh, you know so."

We stop at Stiles' locker and I catch Scott looking at Kira. "What are you looking at?" Stiles asks.

"Me?"

"You," I reply. "You were looking at Kira?"

"You like her?" Stiles asks, putting cartons of eggs in his locker. Of course, Scott gets nervous. "Go ask her out."