Frayed

I wait outside Allison's new apartment while Scott goes to talk to her. I keep looking at my phone, waiting for Derek to text or call me but he hasn't once. Once Scott comes out, he seems a little awkward. When we get to the elevator, Deucalion is there waiting for us. We extend our claws as soon as the doors close. The Alpha Pack leader seems amused saying, "I would have to be blind, deaf and quadriplegic for you two to have a chance of taking me down. You should take the chance, kill an Alpha and become an Alpha."

"No thanks," I reply, staying close to Scott.

"We're not like you, Deucalion. We don't have to kill people," Scott adds.

"Well, that might change. A circumstance may arise where the only way to save one person is to kill another," Deucalion says.

Scott thinks the leader is there to spark a confrontation with us but Deucalion says he lives in the building. He points out that the neighbors are surprisingly friendly. "What do you want?" Scott asks

"I want to see what you're made of."

I step from behind Scott and growl. "Oh, I'll show you."

The elevator opens and Scott pulls me out by my arms. Scott insists we report what Deucalion said to Derek. Scott reports the Alpha Pack is living in Allison's building. Derek's pack already knew because Cora and Boyd followed the twins there. "Maybe the Alphas want us to know where they are," Scott suggests.

"Maybe they don't care if we know," Peter also suggest.

"We plan to attack tomorrow and you two are coming with us," Derek says.

The Alphas live in the penthouse right above the Argent's apartment. Derek plans a preemptive strike to kill the Alphas first. "Why is killing is always the plan for werewolves?" Scott wonders.

"Yeah, why is it always the 'go to plan'?" I add.

Peter agrees with us but puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "You don't get tired of being blandly moral, do you?"

I grab him by the wrist, twist it and throw him over the table. He groans as he lies on the floor. "Note to self, don't touch Scarlett McCall while insulting her."

"Actually, don't be a psychopathic killer and touch Scarlett McCall."

"Guys, back on topic," Scott orders. "It's a terrible idea to attack the Alpha pack."

Cora disagrees with us and asks Derek, "Why do we need these kids?"

I step toward her. "Well, we 'kids' saved your life," I say, my voice low. "And this 'kid' can end it just as easily."

Scott tugs at my arm. Derek tries to convince me and Scott that we can't just sit back and wait for them to make the first move. "We can't defeat the whole Alpha Pack," Scott says.

"We're not going after the whole pack, just Deucalion," Cora replies.

Boyd describes him as 'the head of the snake'. He believes that, if we kill him, the rest will fold.

Peter says it's not a snake but a Hydra, a mythical creature the demigod Hercules fought. Scott rightly points out, "When Hercules cut off one of the creatures seven heads..."

"Two more grew back in its place," I finish.

Peter congratulates us for doing our 'summer reading'. Scott and I visit Deaton after our small meeting. "We don't know what to do about the situation," Scott says.

"We don't know how to save someone who doesn't want to be saved and we don't know how to stop them," I say.

"Scott and Scarlett, you shouldn't try to stop them, you should lead them."